Page 4 of 190

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:49 pm
by chronoteeth
One curious question: Say I wanna make a map/weapon mod/monster thingy or whatever for another port besides zdoom. It'll still be fair game? Like this is a universal map editor, and if you wanna make a map for another port just gotta change the config?

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:54 pm
by DoomRater
A map editor that cannot edit anything BUT ZDoom maps is worthless IMO.

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 pm
by Gez
There's nothing that forces you to only use ZDoom with whatever you create with Slade 3. If you make mods that can only be played in ZDoom, it'll be because you'll have chosen, by your own free will, to put ZDoom features in them.

As for the map editor part of Slade 3, there's nothing working right now anyway; just the lump management stuff (and even that is not entirely finished either). But support is planned for all three map formats -- Doom, Hexen, UDMF.

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:54 pm
by sirjuddington
Yeah, I plan to make the map editor base as generic as possible to allow other ports' features to be implemented easily. Whether I add those features myself, though, well it depends if I get the time and have the motivation :P But yeah Doom/Hexen/UDMF formats are definitely going to be supported (will probably be internally stored as UDMF or something similar)

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 pm
by randi
DoomRater wrote:A map editor that cannot edit anything BUT ZDoom maps is worthless IMO.

You make ZETH cry!

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm
by Woolie Wool
Will this have mass import, mass export, mass rename, and automatic alignment like XWE does? Those are the things that still require me to use XWE as well as SlumpEd.

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 pm
by Gez
Mass import: Already in Slumped (if you do "New from file" you can select several files). Still need to be backported in Slade 3, though (it only adds entries one at a time for now, even if you select several).
Mass export: Already in Slumped, just need a "yes to all" option so as not to have to confirm each individual file.
Mass rename: now this is needed I agree.
Automatic alignment: if you mean automatic sprite offsets, it's already in Slumped as well. Select all the entries you want to autoalign, right-click, select "modify offsets".

So, on your wish-list, there are only one thing that's not already in Slumped, and only two that still need to be put in Slade 3.

Looking forward to mapping features

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:53 am
by japboy
hello,
im new to doom mapping and its much more complicated than i expected. yeah but much of fun!

anyway its a great news to start slade development again!
actually i have no choice except slade2 because im a linux user. im currently using it on wine and it works.
i tired doom builder as well, however its heavily depends on .net framework. i dont think its able to use it on linux...
i really hope slade3 gets mapping features in the close future...
slade2 works on wine but 3d mode always crash my pc and other functions seem bit buggy...?
so, again, i hope slade3 will be the real choice for linux doom mappers!

thank you for starting the development again!

*sorry for my bad english as im not a native speaker.

Re: Looking forward to mapping features

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:44 am
by Gez
japboy wrote:i tired doom builder as well, however its heavily depends on .net framework. i dont think its able to use it on linux...

Mono might help, though I don't think it has all the needed features at the moment.

Re: Looking forward to mapping features

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:01 am
by sirjuddington
japboy wrote:hello,
im new to doom mapping and its much more complicated than i expected. yeah but much of fun!

anyway its a great news to start slade development again!
actually i have no choice except slade2 because im a linux user. im currently using it on wine and it works.
i tired doom builder as well, however its heavily depends on .net framework. i dont think its able to use it on linux...
i really hope slade3 gets mapping features in the close future...
slade2 works on wine but 3d mode always crash my pc and other functions seem bit buggy...?
so, again, i hope slade3 will be the real choice for linux doom mappers!

thank you for starting the development again!

*sorry for my bad english as im not a native speaker.

SLADE2 *should* compile ok on linux, if you grab it from the svn (http://mancubus.net/svn/slade/tags/slade_20_beta, a Makefile is included). Not sure everything works 100% though.

Re: Looking forward to mapping features

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 pm
by Blzut3
sirjuddington wrote:Not sure everything works 100% though.

It does work on Linux, but it is fairly broken. Some of the labels show random characters, the map preview doesn't work, and looking 90 degrees up or down in 3D mode causes a crash. Otherwise it's usable.

Re: Looking forward to mapping features

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:06 am
by japboy
sirjuddington wrote:SLADE2 *should* compile ok on linux, if you grab it from the svn (http://mancubus.net/svn/slade/tags/slade_20_beta, a Makefile is included). Not sure everything works 100% though.


thanks for reply. i didnt think theres a Makefile for v2.0. anyway i tried `make` it from your repository:

Code: Select allExpand view
...
src/editor_window.cpp: In member function ‘void EditorWindow::edit_lightgradient(wxCommandEvent&)’:
src/editor_window.cpp:985: warning: ‘void wxWindowBase::SetBestFittingSize(const wxSize&)’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/window.h:1720)
make: *** [src/editor_window.o] Error 1


well i guess i have to get some libraries. is this version using wxWidgets2.6 and wxscintilla?
btw, trunk version works pretty fine on my Ubuntu 9.10 amd64 :)

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:04 am
by sirjuddington
You have to compile slade 2 with wxWidgets 2.8. 2.9 disables some wx2.6-compatibility stuff which stops it compiling.

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm
by Gez
sirjuddington wrote:Added ability to open an archive from an ArchiveEntry, ie open Archives-within-Archives (wad maps within pk3, etc).

I have now only one remaining reason to keep SLumpEd around. :) That's audio playback support, by the way.


Otherwise, there's an odd bug which causes certain entries copied from a locked archive to be locked as well. It isn't easy to trace down because it's random. E.g., open an iwad and create or open another archive. Copy a large bunch of files from the iwad to the other, some will be locked. I haven't checked r405 yet though.

Re: Looking forward to mapping features

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:32 pm
by japboy
Blzut3 wrote:It does work on Linux, but it is fairly broken. Some of the labels show random characters, the map preview doesn't work, and looking 90 degrees up or down in 3D mode causes a crash. Otherwise it's usable.

this is interesting. i successfully compiled slade_20_beta with wxWidgets-2.8.11.
however it doesnt seem to be usable. it can be launched on Linux though doesnt load maps at all.
once i try to create a new map or load an existing map, its forced to close and command-line says just `Segmentation fault`

have you set up something to make Slade usable?

btw, "90 degrees bug" also happens on Wine.