SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.12 (26/May/2020)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.12 (26/May/2020)

Postby Kappes Buur » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Borpo The Wizard1 wrote:Can there be some sort of Entry converter...? I'm trying to convert a marker (that is supposed to be a map) into a map marker. I'm kinda confused why there isn't one, maybe if you click on it a pop up window will appear saying; "Doing this may or may not ruin your entry, are you sure?" Or something along the lines of that.. I made an account just for this and am very frustrated. Thanks.

How did you create the map?

It would be most unusual for Slade3 not to recognize a map lump as a map, whatever you name/rename the map lump. For example MAP01 or SCENARIO, staying within the 8 character limit.

If that map lump is not recognized as a map, then there is some serious problem going on.

Perhaps you could upload your pwad.
Kappes Buur

Postby Gez » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:08 am

A marker is an entry without any information inside; while a map marker is an entry that is followed by map lumps and serves to give them a unique identifier (because map lumps themselves are not unique). Both are therefore special cases compared to other entries:
* a marker is defined by not having any content at all. Its size is 0 bytes. If there's even one single byte, it's no longer recognized as a marker.
* a map marker is defined not by its own content, but by the lumps that follow it. If they form an apparently-valid map in either Doom, Hexen, Doom64, or UDMF format, then it's recognized as a map marker. Note that contrarily to a plain old marker, a map marker can actually contain data; cf. FraggleScript.

A process to "convert a marker into a map marker" would imply automatically generating map lumps based on zero information; in other words it'd be a random level generator feature.

In a roudabout way you can cut the map lumps from a map and paste them after your marker lump. That'll turn it into functionally a map marker. I don't really see the point of doing that*, but you can do it.

(* outside of some wad archeology, but that's a very specific case involving old mods made with old modding tools that did not overwrite maps correctly.)
Gez

Postby Cyanide » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:17 am

Is there a way within SLADE to capitalize all characters? Or perhaps someone knows a trick for doing exactly that?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 am

TEXTURES visual editor corrupts any entry that contains the "optional" keyword.

After doing any changes in the visual editor, entries that look like this:
Code: Select allExpand view
Texture Optional "BDT_WFA1", 64, 128
{
    NoDecals
    Patch "WFALL1", 0, 0
}

will turn into this:
Code: Select allExpand view
Texture "OPTIONAL", 0, 0
{
}

At the moment I have to use the visual editor, copy the code for the entry, roll back the changes, then manually paste the code in the right place, which is... not ideal.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Discord: Agent_Ash#4401
Github ID: jekyllgrim
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Kappes Buur » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:02 pm

Does Slade3 free up memory after closing?

I'm not sure if this happens universally, obviously, for me Slade3 gets slower and slower. As I open and close Slade3, using it to look at or edit various pwads or create some maps, it will take longer and longer to open Slade3, up to several minutes.

Clicking anywhere during that time Slade3 responds with 'Not Responding'. The only remedy at that point to make Slade3 respond quickly again is to do a hard reboot.
Kappes Buur

Previous

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation