SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 (27/Nov/2018)

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

sirjuddington wrote:SLADE doesn't really properly support multiple instances so there may be some issues there (eg it'll use the same temp directory for all instances), it also uses an internal clipboard and not the system one, so copy+paste between instances isn't possible.
Ultimate Freedoomer wrote:So, I got the map editor to work. However, when I try to open or create an archive, it crashes on me.
Can you post the stack trace from the crash? I've received a grand total of 3 crash reports so far for 3.1.2 so either the report emailing isn't working or no one is clicking 'send'.
I would, but I have no idea how to create a stack trace. If it's automated, it's simply not creating a stack trace at all.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

You should see something like this when it crashes, with an extra button to send the stack trace. If you're not getting this could you take a screenshot of what happens when it does crash?
Ultimate Freedoomer

sirjuddington wrote:You should see something like this when it crashes, with an extra button to send the stack trace. If you're not getting this could you take a screenshot of what happens when it does crash?
I would, but it wouldn't show anything useful. It just spontaneously closes without any indication as to what caused it.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

The texture editor seems to have gotten broken in 3.1.2. Using WIndows10. Grabbed 3120-WInXP version and copied/replaced the files.

If I open wad X, then X-Texture1, then wad Y, then Y-Texture1, I can't copy a Texture definition from X-Texture1 to Y-Texture1. It places it in X-Texture1. If I try to copy a definition from Y-Texture1 to X-Texture1, it either copies nothing or a random texture from X-Texture1 to X-Texture1, duplicating it. If I copy a Y-Texture1 that already exists in X-Texture1, but is different, it ignores what I'm copying and duplicates the X-Texture1 definition.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Has anyone else noticed sectors randomly losing a line after saving, quitting, and restarting?
sector.png
sector.png (61.71 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
I'm not sure if I'm accidentally doing this somehow or what, but it seems like often after I restart there's a sector screwed up like this. It doesn't seem related to whatever I was working on last, it can pop up anywhere.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sorry if this was posted already, but sometimes commented text will stay green after uncommenting it, i.e. removing double forward slashes "//" or forward slashes followed by an asterisk "/*".
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

gramps wrote:Has anyone else noticed sectors randomly losing a line after saving, quitting, and restarting?
sector.png
I'm not sure if I'm accidentally doing this somehow or what, but it seems like often after I restart there's a sector screwed up like this. It doesn't seem related to whatever I was working on last, it can pop up anywhere.
Is it the line itself missing, or did it lose a side? Or did the side lose the sector reference?
gramps

Post by gramps »

The line itself is still there, but isn't part of the sector anymore. The line still has two sidedefs, but one of them is pointing to some bogus sector (with nothing else belonging to it, I think; at least not visibly).

When this happens, it only seems to affect exactly one line on one sector, making me suspect it could be some kind of fencepost error, where something is happening to each line of each sector and the last or first one gets left out.
sirjuddington

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.3 (8/Dec/2018)

Post by sirjuddington »

3.1.3 is up now, which fixes a bunch of bugs from 3.1.2.
Ultimate Freedoomer

I'm still getting the "spontaneously closes without any indication as to what caused it when I try to open an archive" bug. I did get an "unknown publisher" alert from Windows Defender Smart Screen before installing 3.1.2, if that helps.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Ultimate Freedoomer wrote:I'm still getting the "spontaneously closes without any indication as to what caused it when I try to open an archive" bug. I did get an "unknown publisher" alert from Windows Defender Smart Screen before installing 3.1.2, if that helps.
Unfortunately it's pretty difficult to track down the cause without any kind of stack trace. Maybe post the log file? It should be in %APPDATA%\SLADE3\slade3.log
Ultimate Freedoomer

sirjuddington wrote:
Ultimate Freedoomer wrote:I'm still getting the "spontaneously closes without any indication as to what caused it when I try to open an archive" bug. I did get an "unknown publisher" alert from Windows Defender Smart Screen before installing 3.1.2, if that helps.
Unfortunately it's pretty difficult to track down the cause without any kind of stack trace. Maybe post the log file? It should be in %APPDATA%\SLADE3\slade3.log
The log file is blank.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

I've had 3.1.3 crash on me twice so far, both in the same situation. I opened two different wads in two different directories, but both have the same name. I re-organized the entries in one wad to match the other, so I can tab back and forth to quickly see what, if anything, had changed from the old version to the new release. When I save the file I had changed, Slade crashes.

Here is the stack trace from the second time.
Attachments
Slade crash 3.1.3.txt
(3.42 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
gjk2014

Post by gjk2014 »

Why did they have to remove the feature to "Go to" and type out what you are looking for under entry contents but instead now we just have "jump to" which is horrible when trying to look for a specific thing. Guess I'll have to go back to an older version.
gjk2014

Post by gjk2014 »

Clay wrote:Just use Ctrl+F
Why couldn't they keep that feature on all the time like previous versions instead of hiding that from everybody? Is there an option to leave that on instead of pressing that every time?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”