SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.8 (21/Nov/2019)

Post by Kappes Buur »

NeoTerraNova wrote: ...
Do I need to add markers inside of the restructured PWAD's PK3 file to force the Map Editor to read Flats vs Graphics? Is there another way around this?
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement
Gez

Post by Gez »

NeoTerraNova wrote:I've tried setting the IWAD as the Base Resource, and the PWAD (actually a PK3) as an additional resource, but it's not meshing well, as I can get it loaded up, but the Map Editor shows only the IWAD's resources.
It should work this way, it's the intended set up. It's possible your PK3 isn't set up correctly if the resources aren't replaced as expected. Hard to tell without the file to test.
NeoTerraNova

Post by NeoTerraNova »

Kappes Buur wrote:
NeoTerraNova wrote: ...
Do I need to add markers inside of the restructured PWAD's PK3 file to force the Map Editor to read Flats vs Graphics? Is there another way around this?
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

So, in a word, "Yes, with a But." Thank you, Kappes, I'm going to go give this a shot.

It should work this way, it's the intended set up. It's possible your PK3 isn't set up correctly if the resources aren't replaced as expected. Hard to tell without the file to test.
I'll check and see, if I set it up the way Kappes instructed, if it works. If it doesn't, should I just PM you with a download link? I don't want to link my project directly to the board.
Gez

Post by Gez »

That's okay. Hopefully you'll get it working easily enough. :)
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Gez wrote:That's okay. Hopefully you'll get it working easily enough. :)
Will there be a feature to literally draw textures or sprites in Slade?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Well, there is one, kinda, already. But SLADE is not really meant to be an image editor.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Gez wrote:Well, there is one, kinda, already. But SLADE is not really meant to be an image editor.
oh :(
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Well, it's one of those things I'd like to expand upon one day (with features catered more towards pixel art and low-res textures), but it's pretty low on the priority list
NeoTerraNova

Post by NeoTerraNova »

Gez wrote:That's okay. Hopefully you'll get it working easily enough. :)
Everything works! Thanks to Kappes and some patience. Here's some advice for moving things around for anyone else that comes looking:

Sky images goes in Textures
HUD stuff goes in Graphics
Maps being imported from an exterior WAD to a PK3 should be done in a specific way - the way I did it was to:
1) Make a copy of the source WAD (YourWAD.wad and YourWadAlso.wad)
2) Take the copy and delete everything but the Map Lumps
3) Save the copy (I saved it as MAPS.WAD)
4) Import the MAPS.WAD into the Maps folder

If you're taking up a project to revitalize an old existing PWAD into a PK3, and you encounter a situation where the original WAD author overwrote some odd things (like ammo or weapons into decorations, enemies into keys or weird things like that) I also highly advise making those strange decorations into new, separate ACTORs and renaming the graphic files they call up to something else. Just my two cents.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

NeoTerraNova wrote:Thanks to Kappes and some patience.
It's very kind of you to thank me, but I only gave you the link.
There were many people involved to bring you that WIKI entry. They deserve our thanks.
NeoTerraNova

Post by NeoTerraNova »

I'm not sure where to put this, exactly, but since it has to do with SLADE's map editor, I think here would be the best place. Once again, my thanks to everyone that stops by to offer help.

How can I get SLADE's map editor to natively recognize custom keys? I have a LOCKDEF lump in my Mod, and have created the appropriate entries for the locks and the new keys, and have given them new names. However, SLADE doesn't seem to recognize them when I go to set the lock type to a door - it gives me the options of "Red Key, Blue Key, Any Key" and so on - the default names of the six normal keys.

Can I have more than six keys? I'd like to have a lot more keys than that, so I can have specific keys for specific maps. If it's not possible, that's fine.
Gez

Post by Gez »

SLADE doesn't parse LOCKDEFS yet, but you should be able to just manually input the lock numbers for your keys.

NeoTerraNova

Post by NeoTerraNova »

Yeah, I didn't see the ARGS tab on my editor. I'm sure I have the latest version. Am I doing something wrong, here?

Gez

Post by Gez »

Lack of args means that you're using a Doom-format map. Boom's generalized specials only have access to Boom features.

You can technically use a [wiki=XLAT]map translator[/wiki] to add new locked door types to the Doom format, and then create a SLADECFG lump to tell SLADE about these new door types. Other than that, well, there's a reason why GZDoom mods are encouraged to use UDMF as their map format, it makes using ZDoom features in a map much easier than all the kludges and workarounds you have to do with Doom or even Hexen format.
NeoTerraNova

Post by NeoTerraNova »

Ah, see, I'm working with a very old Mod. I'm guessing there's no way to make it a UDMF format map?

Disregard. Another thanks to Kappes!

http://www3.telus.net/kappesbuur/FORMAT ... rsion.html
Last edited by NeoTerraNova on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”