SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.7 (07/Oct/2019)

Post by Gez »

Yeah, "Encore" format is determined only by size, so its reliability should be very low.

The "type" console command can be used to punctually fix this kind of issues but until the detection is fixed, it's going to happen again the next time you open the file.

You can edit SLADE's own resource file to do this change to get rid of it for good.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Gez wrote:You can edit SLADE's own resource file to do this change to get rid of it for good.
Thank you for the fix.
EndHack

Post by EndHack »

i was looking though the strife iwad and one of the torches showed up as a Graphic (SRB2 Encore) instead of a Graphic (Doom)

:edit looks like people are already talking about this
Attachments
Screenshot (246).png
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

When using SLADE to browse Build engine ART files, is there a quicker way to get an overview of what images are in each ART file than just click-click-clicking these buttons?

Some sort of tiled browser mode, or a scroll bar or something?

If not, is there a tool that does have something like that (XWE did IIRC but I can't even get that to start on Win 10 ).
Gez

Post by Gez »

Not at the moment, but it's planned.

Remember there's a context menu entry to extract all images from a multi-image lump.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I was about to ask the exact same thing yesterday as I happened to look for a certain image and had no idea where it was. That was a lot of clicking...
Another thing I noticed is that the regular export function only seems to pick the first image, not the one being shown. This doesn't really make sense.

That said, it seems that SLADE is still the only decent tool to investigate ART files. Everything that can be found on the respective web sites is utter garbage by comparison.
Now here's the ultimate wish: Have a Build map viewer. That'd be cool.
Liberation

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.8 (21/Nov/2019)

Post by Liberation »

Hi, do slopes only show on the 3d mode when the map format is UDMF, as opposed to the older Zdoom format?
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Enjay wrote:When using SLADE to browse Build engine ART files, is there a quicker way to get an overview of what images are in each ART file than just click-click-clicking these buttons?

"An Image"

Some sort of tiled browser mode, or a scroll bar or something?

If not, is there a tool that does have something like that (XWE did IIRC but I can't even get that to start on Win 10 ).
if only it was so easy to edit each sprite by drawing on slade like you would on Paint, if there is, i havent figured it out yet lol
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

SLADE just decided to remove a bunch of functions from the toolbar for some reason. How can i put 'em back?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Right-click on the toolbar, it should give you a list of the toolbar groups that are enabled and disabled.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Request:
That is probably asking a lot, but here goes.
Could the filter menu be expanded to separate textures, patches and flats, sort of like XWE did.

From this:
Spoiler:
to this (see at the bottom of image):
Spoiler:
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Might be a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway:
Is it possible to use SLADE to compare two different mods and find conflicting sprites (or other files) with the same names? I mean, without having to do this manually, of course.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Kind of a roundabout way, but you can set one of them as the reference IWAD (aka base resource archive) and then open the other normally and then run Archive->Maintenance->Remove entries duplicated from IWAD.

It's also probably possible with a Lua script, but I'm not familiar enough with Lua to write one.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Gez wrote:Kind of a roundabout way, but you can set one of them as the reference IWAD (aka base resource archive) and then open the other normally and then run Archive->Maintenance->Remove entries duplicated from IWAD.
Thanks! I'll try it.
NeoTerraNova

Post by NeoTerraNova »

As I always do - thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that stops by and offers advice.

I'm just getting into Map editing for the first time. I have some questions - and I want to do this in a way that doesn't disclose details of a project I'm working on.

The project is a heavy update and significant edition to a semi-abandoned partial conversion. It has its own Textures and some Flats. These over-write existing Doom assets, of course, when loaded.

How can I get the Map Editor to show these assets AND make up for the missing ones by drawing them from a proper IWAD (Freedoom/Doom2/etc.) so that I don't get issues with missing images, and I also don't get the original Doom resources displaying instead of the PC's internal resources (enemies, items, etc.)?

I've tried setting the IWAD as the Base Resource, and the PWAD (actually a PK3) as an additional resource, but it's not meshing well, as I can get it loaded up, but the Map Editor shows only the IWAD's resources. If I do it the other way around (PWAD as Base Resource), I end up with missing textures.

Do I need to add markers inside of the restructured PWAD's PK3 file to force the Map Editor to read Flats vs Graphics? Is there another way around this?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”