SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
esselfortium

Re: Looking forward to mapping features

Post by esselfortium »

japboy wrote:
Blzut3 wrote:It does work on Linux, but it is fairly broken. Some of the labels show random characters, the map preview doesn't work, and looking 90 degrees up or down in 3D mode causes a crash. Otherwise it's usable.
btw, "90 degrees bug" also happens on Wine.
It also happens in Windows.
sirjuddington

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

Post by sirjuddington »

I haven't tried slade 2.0 in linux in a while, so not sure what's up with that. Either way I'm not going to play around with it (but don't worry, I do want to get to the SLADE3 map editor soon...)

Anyway, I've released beta 3, check out what's new and download it here.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta3 up)

Post by Woolie Wool »

- Added ability for 'portable' install, where all configuration files etc are stored in the application directory (currently activated by creating a file called 'portable' in the SLADE application directory
Why is this not default?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

IMO portable installs just mean more incentive to put them on flash drives. Kinda useful if you ask me!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Portable installs > Regular installs.

Exceptions:

I rest my case. :yup:
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Xaser wrote:Portable installs > Regular installs.
yes. I really hate it when I can't take useful things on the go, especially if the computer I will be on has limited access.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

DoomRater wrote:IMO portable installs just mean more incentive to put them on flash drives. Kinda useful if you ask me!
My point was that programs like this should always be "portable". There's no reason to have anything but a "portable" version.

Also, the program freezes for me when I try to save wad files, and seems extremely slow when copying and pasting.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I have no issues with copy/pasting, it's instantaneous for me (or at least it takes less time than selecting the lumps to copy/paste takes...) but saving does take a disproportionate amount of time.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

You're right, it's the selecting that's slow. Really slow. Painfully slow.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Hmm, saving does take a very long time now. I'll look into that...

Edit: fixed, was caused by a silly redundancy (changing an entry state to the same state was being announced/processed)
japboy

Post by japboy »

Woolie Wool wrote:
- Added ability for 'portable' install, where all configuration files etc are stored in the application directory (currently activated by creating a file called 'portable' in the SLADE application directory
Why is this not default?
portable should be handy if im a Windows user. i used to prefer apps storing data in same directory to apps storing data in registry, Application Data, or something like that. however, i also prefer Linux FHS to Windows. I like the way storing apps data in .appsname directory under home directory.

im just worrying about the case using Slade in Linux if portable is default...
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

japboy wrote:
Woolie Wool wrote:
Why is this not default?
portable should be handy if im a Windows user. i used to prefer apps storing data in same directory to apps storing data in registry, Application Data, or something like that. however, i also prefer Linux FHS to Windows. I like the way storing apps data in .appsname directory under home directory.

im just worrying about the case using Slade in Linux if portable is default...
That's pretty much it. It's not good/standard to store all application data/settings in the same folder as the executable in linux. But it is easier to do it like that in windows. So possibly I'll change the default to portable in windows...
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I don't know if it's relevant, but portable installs of foobar2000 can't do file associations in Explorer. Since Windows is also a multiuser environment, I wouldn't recommend making the portable install the default.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Uh, you can certainly do file associations manually. Click on a file, select the program you want to run it with, and voila, a file association. That's probably some weird design thing with foobar2000 since I've never seen any other program do that.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I think in the case of tools like Slade 3 portable makes more sense, because on most modding computers that I know of, the modding is really only done in one user account.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”