SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sirjuddington

Re: SLADE3 beta (testing release, beta2 up)

Post by sirjuddington »

BlazingPhoenix: Yes.

Gez: Oh, that was a potentially nasty bug, Palette8bit is declared to have an array of 255 colours, where everything else (rightly) assumes it has 256 :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I wanted to test this out over the weekend on my laptop, but I forgot which runtimes I needed to have installed first. Running the program only tells me to "check the installation and try again" - I seem to recall that being because I am missing a certain .NET runtime, but I have no idea which one.

Upon checking it out on my Windows 7 desktop machine, though, I like where it's going. I would like to ask, though, if I can disable the file manager sidebar, or perhaps if there could be an extra metadata file a la Doom Builder that saves things that aren't usually saved in the WAD/PK3, like which viewing mode should be used for graphics, which syntax highlighting to use for text files, and perhaps comments on lumps?
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

It needs the visual studio 2008 runtimes, they should come with doom builder 2 if you have that :P I'd compile it with mingw in windows but I'm not sure how to go about adding the icon to the exe. Needing the runtimes is rather annoying. And yeah I do plan to implement the ability to save extra data about entries somehow, ideally I'd like to put it as an extra entry in the archive (so if you send the archive to someone else the extra data goes with it), but I know some people have an aversion to that kind of thing, so I think there will be an option to store externally or internally.

Oh yeah, and the archive manager sidebar can be toggled by pressing Ctrl+1, or via the View menu.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Okay, I'm reasonably happy with my additions. Two things are unfinished: the hex viewer is just a sham (it merely generates text and displays it, it's not real hex editing) and the imgz loader cannot handle compressed format (I got a headache trying to change the reference code from column-major format to row_major format).

The completed additions, though, are:
- Better texture loading and preview
- Hexen/Heretic/ZDoom AUTOPAGE format
- Planar graphic support (e.g., Hexen's STARTUP lump)
- Support for all odd picture formats from the Doom alpha and beta (including some that DeuTex didn't manage)
- A lot less false positives in detection of alpha and betas, and the few that are still detected erroneously do not cause crash anymore
- Added support for ZDoom's alPh chunk in PNG files
- Added a function to make the first palette index transparent in non-transparent paletted PNGs

The new graphic formats are only for loading, the only one that could really have a point for exportation is the planar format.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... depatch.7z
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Awesome, thanks a whole lot for implementing this stuff, feel free to help out some more in the future :) (I might even see if I can get manc to set you up an svn account). I'll get to patching these changes in tomorrow :D (one thing, though, if you do decide to add more, try to refrain from doing too much with the texturex editor, as it's entirely unfinished so I might just end up completely changing it anyway :P)
Gez

Post by Gez »

I wasn't planning on doing more with the texture editor, just letting it identify and load the various formats correctly. And putting the palette chooser functionality there as well.

I finally got the compressed IMGZ working. :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Bumpity bumpity.

I can now display two types of ZDoom fonts as images as well; the FON1 (console fonts) and monospaced, monochrome fonts (what's used for displaying the text from the [wiki]ANSI[/wiki] screens). FON2 ("Big Font") still eludes me, though, and I haven't tried BMF. But the code is there to recognize them.

Also added detection of Doom speaker sounds (the DP* equivalent of the DS*). Just detection, I haven't tried to make them play since, well, there's no sound code yet anyway.

Edit: Actually, I can get FON2 to display, yay! Only... Just sbigfont and dbigfont for now, indexfont crashes. :|
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Is that ANIMATED editor for real? that's pretty awesome.
(I remember seeing a screenshot of Gez's before I posted this)
Gez

Post by Gez »

At the moment, it's just an ANIMATED viewer. :wink: Same for the SWITCHES one.

I'm planning on making it an editor, though; and adding a "convert to ANIMDEFS" button to each one. :)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

That sounds completely awesome, Gez. :D
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Next we need to convince someone to make an SBARINFO display+editor. Hell, even display would be awesome...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Don't count on me for that one. :P
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

DoomRater wrote:Next we need to convince someone to make an SBARINFO display+editor. Hell, even display would be awesome...
It could be done, I'll add it to the requests list anyway.

Also, I've finally gotten around to updating the SLADE webpage :P
Big-Boss

Post by Big-Boss »

I would probably use SLADE instead of DB if SLADE supported UDMF.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'll use Slade instead of Slumped as soon as the last few features from Slumped get implemented. This includes, mostly: opening nested files, working TEXTUREx/PNAMES editor, audio playback for sound and music.

As for a DB2 replacement, I'm not really looking for one right now. DB2 already has a ton of useful features which will-or-would be a lot of work to replicate. But something a bit lower-level, like getting a report on a map's things by looking at the THINGS lump, etc., could be interesting.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”