SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 1 (24/May/2017)

Post by Accensus »

.txt files are no longer opened with the text editor by default. You gotta manually open them. Also, .zsc files are not marked at being ZScript.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

I was trying to use the shape drawing mode and wanted to do a circular room, but noticed the selection dialog is not appearing anymore, so all I can draw is rectangles. This is with current git version.
I also tried doing it with an empty config just in case, but no go. Should I file an issue, or is this a known thing?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Can you post a screenshot? Ctrl-Shift-P by default. Should write the file in %APPDATA%/SLADE/.
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Well I used a regular full screenshot, does this work? I recall it used to appear at the bottom, but not anymore.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Pressing the "Save" button when done editing a text file doesn't always save the file and clicking on any other file opens the save prompt window. Sometimes asks twice after I've pressed "Yes". Really irritating. Don't know how to reproduce.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open .txt file.
2. Edit in any way.
3. Ctrl+S. When asked if you wanna save, click save.
4. Click on another file.
5. Window pops up again asking for confirmation. Pressing the "Save" button does nothing.
Last edited by Accensus on Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Found a way to reproduce
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Can confirm what Lud reported. I mostly get it when closing a file after making changes in a lump.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Can't remember if I've asked this before, but is there a way to disable the "directory content changed" popup when an external program changes a file? I work exclusively out of directories and use my text editor to edit all text-based data files, and there's never any reason I'd not want to accept a change another program makes. The popup also eats the first click in the map editor window after such a change, even if it's not focused.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

At very least, I'd like an easy way to deny all external changes without unchecking every box manually.

8-)
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Lud wrote:Pressing the "Save" button when done editing a text file doesn't always save the file and clicking on any other file opens the save prompt window. Sometimes asks twice after I've pressed "Yes". Really irritating. Don't know how to reproduce.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open .txt file.
2. Edit in any way.
3. Ctrl+S. When asked if you wanna save, click save.
4. Click on another file.
5. Window pops up again asking for confirmation. Pressing the "Save" button does nothing.
Hmm, I can't reproduce this one at all
JPL wrote:Can't remember if I've asked this before, but is there a way to disable the "directory content changed" popup when an external program changes a file? I work exclusively out of directories and use my text editor to edit all text-based data files, and there's never any reason I'd not want to accept a change another program makes. The popup also eats the first click in the map editor window after such a change, even if it's not focused.
Yeah could probably do with some more options on how that behaves.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I can confirm there's some weirdness with entry saving. If I'm editing an entry, then simply click on another entry, I get two successive popups asking me to save. I click yes on both, and now both the entry I was originally working on, and the entry I clicked on both show altered. If I save the whole .pk3 and check git, the second entry doesn't have any changes to commit, even though Slade marked it as changed.

I can take a recording of this later if you'd like. Not sure if it's limited to Linux, but I seem to recall having the same issue on Windows before I switched.

8-)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Am using Windows 10 for the record, so it seems that it's cross-platform. If it's the same bug, that is.
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

I'm using linux if that matters, but can get similar redundant "save?" dialogs as well (in current git version, as of 2 days ago).
Last edited by Hetdegon on Wed May 31, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I get that on Windows 7, too.
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Another little thing I noticed, I like to use the "quick angle edit" feature to rotate things, instead of inputting their direction manually.
It works, and pretty well, however I noticed it likes to do this thing:
This was for just one rotation of a single thing.
Seems it's taking every "frame" where the pull line is active as an undo step, instead of only using the final direction (when key is released). This kinda pollutes the undo buffer. Could it be changed to only register the final change?
GraveUypo

Post by GraveUypo »

I'm currently having an issue i can't seem to fix.

i've recently clean reinstalled windows, and now i can't get slade to open. at first it said i was missing DLLs and all, so i downloaded the slade installer and let it download the crap it needs to run.
those errors are gone but now when i run slade.exe, the process shows up in the task manager but the program never really opens. no splash screen, nothing. if i try to open it again, it stacks more processes on the task manager but still won't budge.

tried uninstalling all ms visual c++ stuff from scratch and the problem persists. i remember i had the same issue on my laptop a couple of years back and somehow fixed it after struggling for hours, but i can't for the life of me figure out what to do now.
please help :( such a waste, i was inspired to create a couple of new weapons and monsters just now :(

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”