SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Abba Zabba

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.5 (07/May/2019)

Post by Abba Zabba »

Not sure if anyone will know what this issue is, but I've had this problem for ages: when I use the visual texture editor to modify the textures lump in Hideous Destructor, and then I save my changes within that visual editor, it seems to break the lump everytime, and I have no idea why. For example, translucency on muzzleflashes and fireballs gets odd, like the opacity is screwed up, and some view sprites for weapons disappear entirely when they are defined through textures. I wondered if there was some weird format setting causing this problem, but from all the looking around I've did I've found absolutely nothing to change this problem. I've been manually applying the changes I want to make to the raw text itself. Would anyone know what setting/problem I'm encountering?
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Don't know if this has been proposed already, but please add a widget to allow us to calculate height and width on actors with a sprite, provided they have altered scaling
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Please add option "search (and replace) in whole pack/wad", because massive refactoring require it much of a time.
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

I would be interested in the above feature as well (I was about to suggest it too).

I saw there is a LUA script that is supposed to do just that (if I understood correctly), but it didn't seem to do anything when I tried. But I would prefer this functionality to be found in the normal search dialog, anyway.
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

Hey there, I think I found a little bug, I hit Tab by mistake while I was editing in 3D mode and I had a hard time getting out of visual mode after that,

Steps to reproduce:

1) With a map open, hit Q to enter visual mode
2) Hit tab (a cursor will appear)
3) Click on the 3d mode window again

You will no longer be able to exit 3d mode using Q. Tab also quit working.

If you right click on a wall (or something else in the map) to bring up the properties window Q will start working again.

I'm using Slade v3.1.5 on Ubuntu Mate 18.04 if it matters. I got it from the deb package.

Also, I am going through the guide for compiling Slade 3, here's some things I had to do,

Package installation:

Package renames:
- libwebkit-dev to libwebkitgtk-dev
- libglew1.6-dev to libglew-dev
- libwxgtk-media3.0-dev to libwxgtk-media3.0-gtk3-dev (Note that the former is still in the apt repositories but it doesn't work for Slade)

<libgstreamer 0.10 is outdated in 18.04>
- libgstreamer0.10-dev to libgstreamer1.0-dev
- libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev to libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev
- libwxgtk-webview3.0-dev to libwxgtk-webview3.0-gtk3-dev

Extra packages:
- libgtk-3-dev

Final command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libglew-dev libfreeimage-dev libftgl-dev libfluidsynth-dev libsfml-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgconf2-dev freeglut3-dev cmake libmodplug-dev git libwebkitgtk-dev libwxgtk3.0-dev libwxgtk-media3.0-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libwxgtk-webview3.0-gtk3-dev libbz2-dev libwxgtk-media3.0-gtk3-dev libgtk-3-dev
Note that at the time of writing the master branch uses <filesystem> which is a C++/17 feature, g++ 7.4.0 that ships with 18.04 is running __cplusplus 201402L, I just switched to the stable branch.

(Outdated info before I added extra packages to the commands)
Spoiler:
Last edited by cq75 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
D2JK

Post by D2JK »

About function calltips: I like how I can see the parameters for the functions I've written previously, but there's one problem. For example, since I typically write a member function named Create() for many classes (for consistency reasons), Slade will display a list of all Create-functions it knows of, even when they belong to classes that are irrelevant to what I'm currently doing. I'm only interested in the Create() function of the class I'm currently attempting to create. With dozens of functions written, the function I'm interested in might not even fit in the visible part of list of suggested functions.

So I was wondering if it would possible to try detect the relevant class on the left side of the function I'm currently writing, and only show a calltip for the function belonging to that class.

I hope I've explained this coherently enough. :lol:
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

D2JK wrote:About function calltips: I like how I can see the parameters for the functions I've written previously, but there's one problem. For example, since I typically write a member function named Create() for many classes (for consistency reasons), Slade will display a list of all Create-functions it knows of, even when they belong to classes that are irrelevant to what I'm currently doing. I'm only interested in the Create() function of the class I'm currently attempting to create. With dozens of functions written, the function I'm interested in might not even fit in the visible part of list of suggested functions.

So I was wondering if it would possible to try detect the relevant class on the left side of the function I'm currently writing, and only show a calltip for the function belonging to that class.

I hope I've explained this coherently enough. :lol:
Yeah that's something I'd like to do eventually, though it's not exactly a simple thing to implement.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I've been meaning to ask this for ages.
  • Why does Slade3 always start testing with MAP01 when the pwad loaded is, for example, MAP15?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Any version post 3.1.1.5 has an irritating lag upon saving any text changes. Make any code change and press save and it stalls for a second. 3.1.1.5 doesn't do this, it saves instantly.
chaingunner_hell
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by chaingunner_hell »

Is there a way to change the size of the grid in the map editor? 64 its still useful but sometimes you need something smaller
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Same as in GZDB - use the [ ] keys.
chaingunner_hell
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by chaingunner_hell »

thanks
Gez

Post by Gez »

Note that, same as in GZDB, you can change the keys if you'd rather something else. (I use Shift+Ctrl+mouse wheel personally.)
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

I'm having problems with calltips in the latest version. I have them enabled but they don't show up, and the text cursor dissapears when I hover over a function.
And on an unrelated note, why is A_SpawnProjectile not an identified function?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Gothic wrote:And on an unrelated note, why is A_SpawnProjectile not an identified function?
The syntax highlighter for DECORATE requires to be manually updated (unlike the ZScript one), and is currently outdated.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”