SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Catastrophe

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 3 (31/Jul/2017)

Post by Catastrophe »

Is there a way to prevent ctrl+z from going beyond a single file? It's horrible.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

Is there a way to allow duplicate entries when loading a WAD? If you open xa-dwire.wad and then save it, it breaks because several entity names are now missing.
Also, please an option to "compress all PNGs"!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Kroc wrote:... it breaks because several entity names are now missing.
Which entries are you missing after the save?
When I save it with a different name, then the entry count is exactly the same, 860.
Kroc wrote:Also, please an option to "compress all PNGs"!
In Slade3 it is called Optimize PNG
Spoiler:
Which is set up in Preferences
Spoiler:
For example, CREDIT3 shrinks from 33.78kb to 28.25kb to 15.79kb
Highlight all pngs for batch processing.
However, with that many pngs, that will take some time, though.
sirjuddington

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.2 Beta 5 (11/Sep/2017)

Post by sirjuddington »

3.1.2 beta 5 is up with quite a few changes since the last one
Gez

Post by Gez »

Kroc wrote:Is there a way to allow duplicate entries when loading a WAD? If you open xa-dwire.wad and then save it, it breaks because several entity names are now missing.
Weird. It should allow duplicate entries in WADs and even in ZIPs with no problem.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Using Beta 5. TEXTURES editor forgets translations after closing it.

For example, open TEXTURES, add any texture/sprite/whatever, set any translation, save, close editor, re-open.

It's also no longer possible to paste a string into the Translation text box and hit enter to apply translation. The text simply gets deleted.

Oh, loading a translation file also says the file is invalid, even though I just saved the thing.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

Gez wrote:Weird. It should allow duplicate entries in WADs and even in ZIPs with no problem.
Seems to be a corrupt WAD -- most odd! I downloaded a fresh copy and it was OK.

Is there an option to set the compression level used when saving PK3s? I'm making PortaDOOM and I actually need to save PK3s *without* compression because they compress much better as a collection of uncompressed PK3s than already-compressed PK3s. This is because an uncompressed PK3 exposes its text content which 7Z/RAR can share across multiple PK3s. If SLADE had this feature it'd mostly deprecate the need for my DOOM-Crusher script.

Edit: If I go to Archive > Maintenance > Check Duplicate Entry Names, I get this list: (xa-dwire.wad)

Code: Select all

BEHAVIOR appears 2 times
DIALOGUE appears 2 times
ENDMAP appears 2 times
SCRIPTS appears 2 times
TEXTMAP appears 2 times
ZNODES appears 2 times
What does this mean, and is it a problem?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Kroc wrote: What does this mean,
There are two maps in the pwad.
TITLEMAP and MAP01
Kroc wrote: and is it a problem?
No.

Unless, of course, both maps were named the same MAPxx.
In that case only the most recently named map would be displayed.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

That's worth bugreporting. It'll take some extra logic to handle the special case, but the duplicate lump check really ought to ignore map lumps (it's just useless noise).

Also, this is a bit belated, but Beta 5 is quite the improvement -- the ZScript language support is shaping up rather nicely. :D

[EDIT] Oh Shiznit, I just noticed that column edit in the text editor is fully functional now. Heeeellllll yeeeah buddy!
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Hey, I know this has probably been asked before but I'm not sure how to properly word the query to search for it.
Is (or will) there be a way to make SLADE remember the mode in which I viewed an entry? I.e. when I use multiple decorate entries via #include, it's pretty annoying that I have to press "View as text" and then select "ZDoom Decorate" from the dropdown list every time I need to check it. It remembers my choice if I edited the entryand saved it, but only until I close the wad/pk3 I'm editing. Is there a way to remember that beyond one file edit?
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:Hey, I know this has probably been asked before but I'm not sure how to properly word the query to search for it.
Is (or will) there be a way to make SLADE remember the mode in which I viewed an entry? I.e. when I use multiple decorate entries via #include, it's pretty annoying that I have to press "View as text" and then select "ZDoom Decorate" from the dropdown list every time I need to check it. It remembers my choice if I edited the entryand saved it, but only until I close the wad/pk3 I'm editing. Is there a way to remember that beyond one file edit?
Currently it won't remember that between sessions, no. However, DECORATE/ZScript are special cases and it should be marking anything #included into the main DECORATE entry as text/DECORATE. What version of SLADE are you using?
Jekyll Grim Payne

I was using 3.1.1.5, now 3.1.2 beta 5. Here's a screenshot. As you can see, the D_ entries are included, but SLADE doesn't recognize them as DECORATE automaticlaly.

P.S. Tried using quotation marks around the entry names but that didn't change anything.
Attachments
2017-09-27_150311.jpg
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Well that's weird, I tried a setup like that myself on 3.1.2 beta 5 and it detected them as DECORATE as expected. Is the pk3 publicly available so I could look at it?

If all else fails, one way to ensure SLADE will detect them as DECORATE is to put them in a folder called 'Actors'
Jekyll Grim Payne

sirjuddington wrote:Well that's weird, I tried a setup like that myself on 3.1.2 beta 5 and it detected them as DECORATE as expected. Is the pk3 publicly available so I could look at it?

If all else fails, one way to ensure SLADE will detect them as DECORATE is to put them in a folder called 'Actors'
For me it happens with any wad or pk3 I have, so that's definitely not related to the file.

And no, moving them to the Actors folder didn't change antyhing. I even tried adding .txt extension, but it only made Slade autorecognize them as txts, but not decorate.
Maybe it has something to do with some settings or the way it was installed? I used an archive. Running Windows 7 x64. Maybe I should try to make a "clean" reinstall?

UPD: just to make sure I deleted it and reinstalled it. Confirmed, moving them to "Actors" folder makes it autorecognize them as Decorate. But simple #include doesn't have that effect. Nevertheless, it's still much more convenient, so thanks a lot!
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Hi, sorry if this question has been answered a million times, but has the support for emulated audio formats (spc, vgz, nsf etc.) been dropped?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”