grabpng - now with 15% more grab

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
bagheadspidey

grabpng - now with 15% more grab

Post by bagheadspidey »

View latest changes

Keyboard Shortcuts:

Code: Select all

Ctrl-S      Save current image
    Z           Previous image in directory
    X           Next image in directory
    L           Lock / unlock guides
    Tab         Select next control
    Arrows      Select controls
    Space       Activate selected control
    Esc         Quit program
Batch operations

Basically this is setpng on crack. It can do batch operations and the grab x and y position can be mathematical expressions including variables for the width and height of the image (so to set a grab point in the center of a bunch of images, you could do -grab w/2 h/2.) See the readme for more details.

Downloads & Info

Get the program (for windows or linux*), view the readme or browse the source.

*linux users should install fltk 1.1 libraries
Spoiler: the readme
Last edited by bagheadspidey on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: grabpng - powerful setpng clone for batch png grabbing

Post by Hirogen2 »

Something is flakey:

cygwin$ ./grabpng.exe -x w/2 -h y-9 wall74.png
Grabbing rtwall74.png [64x64] at (0,0).

linux$ ./grabpng -x w/2 -h y-9 wall74.png
Nothing to do.
grabpng -grab <x> <y> filename
 Set grAb chunk in png file.
0,0? Nothing to do?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

570kb for such a small tool? iostream must be even worse with MinGW than with VC++... :?
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Hirogen: there is no -x and -y, just -grab (just like in setpng).. so ./grabpng -grab w/2 h-9 wall74.png

Also, you might want to re-download it, that looks like output from a couple of versions ago.

Graf: I'm not sure why the windows exe is so big... the linux binary is much smaller. I have a feeling if it was compiled on windows it would not be so big... I'm not using iostream at all this time =/
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Graf Zahl wrote:570kb for such a small tool? iostream must be even worse with MinGW than with VC++... :?
Cygwin ships g++ 3.x (mingw too?), and the 3.x series had a particularly bad libstdc++ (cout was also magnitudes slower than printf—this particular item has been fixed in 4.x).
I see that there are humongous symbols in `nm grabpng.exe` ... something related to libstdc++ too, whatever this "_emergency_buffer" thing of 16KB is...
bagheadspidey wrote:Also, you might want to re-download it, that looks like output from a couple of versions ago.
Right... ;-)
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Just to clarify, I've never actually built this from windows... I just built the windows executable from linux. So I don't think it's an issue with an old gcc or anything. Anyway, it's only half a meg in size, hopefully not too ridiculously huge by today's standards, but I'd like to look into it more. Can anyone confirm whether the windows binary actually works as intended, though?
bagheadspidey wrote:Also, you might want to re-download it, that looks like output from a couple of versions ago.
Right... ;-)
No, really, it does. See that tiny bit of help it displayed? You know, the text that shows you how to use the command? ;p Now it displays a huge logo and a decent sized help screen =)
Last edited by bagheadspidey on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Quick test under WinXP I was able to set offsets by specifying my own explicit values at the command line and by getting grabpng to set them based on the formula w/2 h. Both tests worked as expected. I don't have time for a more extensive test ATM, but those results are promising anyway. :)
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Thanks, Enjay, you are my testing hero =)

I'm not sure if the windows command prompt interprets matching patterns in file names or if it is up to the program to do that, so something like grabpng -grab 0 0 *.png will work in linux (*.png is expanded by the shell) but maybe not in windows. That's the only thing I can think of that may not work if everything else looks good. Thanks for your help =)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This worked:

grabpng -grab w/2 h-4 *.png

0.png [64x128]
Grabbing at (32,124)

1.png [64x128]
Grabbing at (32,124)

2.png [64x128]
Grabbing at (32,124)

4.png [64x128]
Grabbing at (32,124)

5.png [32x64]
Grabbing at (16,60).

6.png [32x64]
Grabbing at (16,60).

7.png [32x64]
Grabbing at (16,60).

8.png [128x64]
Grabbing at (64,60).

9.png [128x64]
Grabbing at (64,60).
Double checked with XWE and all graphics were offset correctly.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Awesome, thanks for your time. I feel fairly confident about adding this to the wiki now.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

bagheadspidey wrote: Graf: I'm not sure why the windows exe is so big... the linux binary is much smaller. I have a feeling if it was compiled on windows it would not be so big... I'm not using iostream at all this time =/

I can tell you the reason:

Linux links the entire CRT dynamically, including the iostream stuff. The Windows version links the entire iostream module plus the incredibly bloated exception handling module into the executable.

Large binaries when using C++ seem to be normal for MinGW. ZDoom compiled with it is 1.5 times larger than the MSVC version.

I think a MSVC build will be smaller.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Graf: Thanks for that explanation. I suspected something like that was probably going on. I looked into it a little bit, but I think there's not much I can do on this end (I don't have a copy of msvc). I guess anybody that wants a small copy badly enough can compile it themselves, though ;p
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

bagheadspidey wrote:See that tiny bit of help it displayed? You know, the text that shows you how to use the command? ;p Now it displays a huge logo and a decent sized help screen =)
Yes; I did update and then It Worked™. Though, the fact that filecharset does not support an -o option makes for a broken out-of-src build with autotools.
The Windows version links the entire iostream module plus the incredibly bloated exception handling module into the executable.
And the reason for this is that there is no libstdc++ dll, but just the static archive :-(
I'm not sure if the windows command prompt interprets matching patterns in file names or if it is up to the program to do that,
Windows does not give that sort of help. I would not bother with it anyway since grabpng is usually used to set some coordinates, rather than zero it; and coords for sprites are often different, depending on sprite.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Hirogen2 wrote:
bagheadspidey wrote:See that tiny bit of help it displayed? You know, the text that shows you how to use the command? ;p Now it displays a huge logo and a decent sized help screen =)
Yes; I did update and then It Worked™. Though, the fact that filecharset does not support an -o option makes for a broken out-of-src build with autotools.
That -o option is a gcc option, not a filechars option. This isn't meant to work with autotools. Just run the build.sh script and everything should build. You might want to comment out the cross-compiling stuff first if you don't have those tools.
Hirogen2 wrote:
I'm not sure if the windows command prompt interprets matching patterns in file names or if it is up to the program to do that,
Windows does not give that sort of help. I would not bother with it anyway since grabpng is usually used to set some coordinates, rather than zero it; and coords for sprites are often different, depending on sprite.
I thought so too, but look at Enjay's post a few comments back. Now I'm confused. Can anyone clarify whether cmd.exe expands matching patterns? I saw another topic about this here somewhere but now I can't find it.

About coords being different depending on the sprite, that's what the expression evaluation is there for. I just ran this on a huge folder of ripped monster sprites using w/2 h-4 and in less than a second all of the grab points were in place. I only had to manually adjust the grab position on two frames (changed y value a bit on corpse frames) =)
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Precondition (cl=MSVC6):

bash$ cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, const char **argv)
{
        printf("You gave me %d lousy args.\n", argc);
        return 0;
}

bash$ gcc test.c -o tcyg
bash$ cl test.c
Time of truth:

cmd.exe> test.exe *.*
You gave me 2 lousy args.

cmd.exe> tcyg.exe *.*
You gave my 14 lousy args.
So cmd.exe does nothing, and it is the Cygwin runtime that expands the wildcards if you ran the program from outside a cygwin environment.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”