[palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby Sodaholic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:41 am

OMG BUMP

Feature suggestion: pallete tinting. For example, vanilla doom had tints in the pallete in the wad and not hardcoded. It would be useful to make palletes compatible with older ports (and vanilla doom itself).
Sodaholic
Banned User
 
Joined: 03 Nov 2007

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby Onslaught Six » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:35 pm

Sodahollic wrote:OMG BUMP

Feature suggestion: pallete tinting. For example, vanilla doom had tints in the pallete in the wad and not hardcoded. It would be useful to make palletes compatible with older ports (and vanilla doom itself).


Huh?
Onslaught Six
Oozing of Onslaughttitude
 
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Location: Hell.

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby Wagi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 am

I know precisely what he's talking about. Ever seen Doom/Doom2's PLAYPAL lump in XWE? They have a red gradient, yellow gradient, and green tinted version of the pallette all in the lump, which Doom uses to display tints for damage. This is in contrast to Zdoom which simply uses the first 768 bytes, and then uses hard-coded values to apply tint to them based on the first pallette. He's requesting a feature that can read and use the colors in the PLAYPAL to apply tint.
I don't know if this is possible to put into Zdoom, but here's one thing I know: He asked for it in the wrong place. If you want to suggest a feature, then you should suggest it in the "Feature Suggestions" subforum. They shouldn't be posted in other people's threads.
Wagi
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2008

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby esselfortium » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Wagi wrote:I know precisely what he's talking about. Ever seen Doom/Doom2's PLAYPAL lump in XWE? They have a red gradient, yellow gradient, and green tinted version of the pallette all in the lump, which Doom uses to display tints for damage. This is in contrast to Zdoom which simply uses the first 768 bytes, and then uses hard-coded values to apply tint to them based on the first pallette. He's requesting a feature that can read and use the colors in the PLAYPAL to apply tint.
I don't know if this is possible to put into Zdoom, but here's one thing I know: He asked for it in the wrong place. If you want to suggest a feature, then you should suggest it in the "Feature Suggestions" subforum. They shouldn't be posted in other people's threads.

Er..I think he's asking for Spidey's tool to add support for generating those tints, not making a ZDoom feature request :wink:
User avatar
esselfortium
 
Joined: 20 Sep 2006

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby phi108 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 pm

I didn't know we could suggest features for non-ZDoom projects in the feature suggestions forum.

I guess I'll bring all of my GZDoom problems there, and ask for DECORATE in Doomsdsay, and whine until I get high resolutions in Chocolate doom.

EDIT: My respondification speed is lacking.
User avatar
phi108
Magical Error?
 
Joined: 02 Dec 2007

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby Onslaught Six » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Wagi wrote:I know precisely what he's talking about. Ever seen Doom/Doom2's PLAYPAL lump in XWE? They have a red gradient, yellow gradient, and green tinted version of the pallette all in the lump, which Doom uses to display tints for damage. This is in contrast to Zdoom which simply uses the first 768 bytes, and then uses hard-coded values to apply tint to them based on the first pallette. He's requesting a feature that can read and use the colors in the PLAYPAL to apply tint.
I don't know if this is possible to put into Zdoom, but here's one thing I know: He asked for it in the wrong place. If you want to suggest a feature, then you should suggest it in the "Feature Suggestions" subforum. They shouldn't be posted in other people's threads.


Ah. I wasn't aware of these gradients. Very well, then, move along.
Onslaught Six
Oozing of Onslaughttitude
 
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Location: Hell.

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby bagheadspidey » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Sodahollic wrote:Feature suggestion: pallete tinting. For example, vanilla doom had tints in the pallete in the wad and not hardcoded. It would be useful to make palletes compatible with older ports (and vanilla doom itself).


XWE can create those tint palettes for you.

But, maybe the tool could allow you to use more than 256 palette entries. Then you could do the tinting yourself in the source image. Would anyone use a feature like that?
User avatar
bagheadspidey
 
Joined: 21 Oct 2007

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Postby Sodaholic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:48 pm

bagheadspidey wrote:But, maybe the tool could allow you to use more than 256 palette entries. Then you could do the tinting yourself in the source image. Would anyone use a feature like that?


Sounds good. :)
Sodaholic
Banned User
 
Joined: 03 Nov 2007

Previous

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests