[palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
bagheadspidey

[palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Post by bagheadspidey »

Notice:

this tool is now part of DoomCrap.

This tool generates a palette (colormap) file based on an image. The palette is dumped as an ACT file, a simple binary format that XWE can import easily.

The main use of this tool is create a PLAYPAL lump by:

1 - modifying an image representing the game's palette (examples below) using gimp / photoshop / psp / etc.
2 - loading the modified image with this tool and dumping an ACT file
3 - loading the ACT file into a wad as a PLAYPAL lump with a WAD editor
Spoiler: screenshots
the readme wrote: The source image should be square, and each of its sides should
measure a power of two (ie 64, 128, 256...) It should contain 256
colored squares representing the color of each palette entry.
The colors will be entered into the palette in the order the squares
appear, starting at the upper left corner and moving from left to
right, top to bottom.
Basically that means the images you use with this tool should look similar to these:
Spoiler: default palettes
Download - palettedump 0.1.2

Last edited by bagheadspidey on Sat May 10, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Medricel

Re: [palettedump] Spidey's Palette Dump Tool

Post by Medricel »

Well, from a quick test, it seems to do the job, but the preview image doesn't appear quite cleanly (I have to resize the window in order for the image preview to be drawn).
It could also do well with a proper executable. However for such a simple program, I suppose having a command line window looming in the background is excusable :lol:
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Shinjanji wrote:Well, from a quick test, it seems to do the job, but the preview image doesn't appear quite cleanly (I have to resize the window in order for the image preview to be drawn).
Ok. Luckily it's easy to send a dummy resize event =) Fixed in my copy, update soon.
Shinjanji wrote:It could also do well with a proper executable. However for such a simple program, I suppose having a command line window looming in the background is excusable :lol:
Yeah... what it really needs is an installer. Here's what you can do, though:

Create a shortcut to the .bat file. Right click the shortcut, hit properties, and deselect "run in console." No more black window.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Ok, sorry about that guys, from now on I guess I should test stuff in windows first =p
now with 23% less suck!
now with 23% less suck!
palettedump-msw.png (39.18 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
Updated - new download link.
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

Works just fine. This is a handy little program; most definitely keeping this one around :D Thanks spidey! :cheers:
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Very useful tool. Thx a lot, Spidey!
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Hey, I'm glad this is working out for you guys. It has definitely saved me some time and some clicks so far.

...So, who's going to make the feature request? :wink:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Bug report (or maybe I'm doing it wrong):

Using this palette...
Spoiler:
...results in this output when importing the ACT into XWE:
Spoiler:
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

the readme shall reveal all ;)

(there's an image you can use in the "example" folder)

edit - I guess the readme isn't entirely clear - the image should consist of only what the readme describes and no extra stuff (like borders, numbers, etc) - each square should be the same size and also be a power of two, and nothing but squares should appear in the image.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Hey, look what I painstakingly worked on!

The Hexen Palette is now available for Bagheadspidey's tool.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Bouncy's Hexen palette seems to have disappeared, so I've attached it in the title post, along with Skunk's Strife palette (slightly fixed and resized to match the others) - Now all we need is a Heretic palette!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Dammit, I didn't realise you already had a strife one so I made this:

I think it's all OK (I was going a bit cross-eyed at one point) but I notice it is slightly different to the one you have posted already. The pale blue on the bottom line is different. Could that be due to your image being paletised? I have noticed some errors in pngs with that in the past.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Enjay wrote:Dammit, I didn't realise you already had a strife one so I made this:
Spoiler:
I think it's all OK (I was going a bit cross-eyed at one point) but I notice it is slightly different to the one you have posted already. The pale blue on the bottom line is different. Could that be due to your image being paletised? I have noticed some errors in pngs with that in the past.
Skunk's image had cyan in 247 - I never realized his image was paletted until you mentioned it, so I probably screwed that up when I tried to fix that cyan color. Let's just use your image for now...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, last one. Heretic

I think it's OK but I really got lost whilst doing this one. Also, interestingly, the first 2 colours are RGB 2,2,2 and there doesn't seem to be a 0,0,0 in the palette at all. I checked and double checked and that does seem to be correct.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

bagheadspidey wrote:
Enjay wrote:Dammit, I didn't realise you already had a strife one so I made this:
Spoiler:
Skunk's image had cyan in 247 - I never realized his image was paletted until you mentioned it, so I probably screwed that up when I tried to fix that cyan color. Let's just use your image for now...
Oh yeah I indexed it for the resize, cause the original image wasn't a power of 2. I didn't change any colors though! That cyan was there when I was editing the image of the palette, I sure as hell didn't put it there. Thanks Enjay for doing a better version than me!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”