LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Grizzly

Re: LZDoom 3.82 'rogue' 07/19 released

Post by Grizzly »

those commands literally don't change anything about performance at all. They just change the refresh rate (ie, how many frames your monitor can display per second, which for your HP most likely is just 60) and the maximum amount of frames that Doom renders (which should be 200 by default, but if you are at 200 fps, you wouldn't be complaining about performance).

The only way this would matter is if you have Vsync turned on, becuase Vsync limits FPS to what your screen can display or a division of that, so it can lock you to 30 fps or 20.

Are you really sure you haven't just turned Vsync on and, say, turned rendering interpolation to off?
Kamil
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kamil »

My Vsync is off. I can understand if there would only be a performance issue in mods. But when problems arise with the vanilla Doom, then this is no longer the order. Because Doom has always worked perfectly.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

- I also have a potato
- GZDoom 4.x works a bit better than 3.7.x in my end
- Obviously Zandro works better for you because it has less intensive resources like shaders and stuff.
- Try to scale down the resolution to gain framerate

So....all things considered, the only real upgrade is getting a better PC and don't complain about it.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Kamil wrote:I have a couple of ideas for optimizing LZDoom
While i really appreciate your support i must say...
What are ASC? The intel error was a driver bug with recent windows manifests, there is a tool written by _mental_ that should work and if not just rename the exe to gzdoom and then back to lzdoom. But weren't you on AMD anyway?
AFAIK the renderer should be nearly feature complete on modern hardware, without recent optimizations in modern GZDoom of course and those make a huge difference on modern hardware, for instance with portals. It's an old renderer on steroids, there's even HDR support which should work.
Lightning should be the same unless i got something wrong, there was a problem in GZDoom with light size and then i made a mistake in older LZDoom versions but now it should be right.

Pretty much what Graf said but a guy (Erick194) made some shaders work on GL2 hardware with good performance, he added brightmaps and the software lightning mode at least the one from PSX Doom. But we lost contact somehow and since the code is not on GitHub i could not "suck" it. :lol:
Running on old hardware is not the sole reason for LZDoom existence there's more to it but of course it's mainly a legacy port. The best ports for really old hardware are those with the classic fixed function renderer (ZDoom LE and ZDoom32). But there are many missing features there same as in Zandro.
I actually tried Graf's experimental version with shaders on GL2 but it crashed on my intel hardware. Fun fact: the software mesa driver is not much slower than my native intel driver. I think those are partly software "cards".
Kamil wrote:You are our last hope.
No, dpJudas is our last hope. :wub:
Last edited by drfrag on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

My question is: is it really so difficult to add support for mods and leave the rest as in Zandronum? GZ 4 does not work badly for me, but worse than GZ 3.7.2 vintage.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I have AMD. The first suggestion for optimization was not my wishes. I’ll also say a few words from the developers of PB-ACS is another reason why too. I can't wait for PB to scrap a majority of ACS for good.PA1N knew that Legacy gore, and ACS calls caused it. Thank god the new headshot system on Zombiemen use less calls
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

First, there's a very severe problem with the forum right now. It will kick me out a few minutes right after posting so unless i copy-paste i lose my messages like has happened right now.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I understand you my friend
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

As i've said those old renderers are missing many features. I managed to inject an old renderer in ZDoom LE and that was an almost three year merge. Swapping renderers is not easy, and that wouldn't even make sense here (if doable at all).

On what i was talking earlier: i'm not really very interested in all that fancy stuff but more on things such as adding a low detail mode (even with unreadable text), but the scaling code is not really designed for such an use case and i'd need to change it, easier said than done. Then PC Speaker emulation but i don't know where to start and recently in the flipped levels feature also from Crispy.
But as you probably know i had an accident and i'm still suffering the consequences. I'm very depressed again, my health is not good and my situation is still bad. :(
Last edited by drfrag on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

Oh my god. Sorry, I didn’t know this. Get well soon and don’t lose the will to live. You can do everything.
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by site »

Wasn't ACS something Raven made for Hexen? Like to support Hexen you need to support ACS? Plus any Doom/Hexen based mods/maps built off that? You want to drfrag to just strip that out?

And aren't motion blur effects expensive (as in even fairly expensive compared to using a shader sector light mode, like Vanilla)? Seems kinda weird to complain about performance and then ask for something like that.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I solved the performance issue. I updated the video card drivers (I have not updated them since 2013).Now everything works smoothly :)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

bruh.....
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

drfrag wrote:First, there's a very severe problem with the forum right now. It will kick me out a few minutes right after posting so unless i copy-paste i lose my messages like has happened right now.
If you're encountering this issue, you should try clearing out your browser cookies and cache; there's probably a stale cookie messing things up.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

In LZDoom and GZDoom there is no normal transition of the application to the desktop. In Zandronum, everything is fine with this.I have to play in windowed mode :(

Return to “Game Engines”