LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: LZDoom 3.86 06/20 released

Post by drfrag »

I don't think relevance depends on 32 bit but on what we'll do, if there are few unique features it would be a GZDoom clone and if there's a lot of different content there would be conflicts and the project would be harder to maintain. I'd like more developers to join the team (likely i'll send some invitations) and then i'd try to keep the pieces together. We'll see what happens but i dont like LZDoom being a one man project anymore. Clearly i can't fix the issues in the software renderer so i'd need help there. My initial idea was to keep the software renderer as the default but the main renderer in Softpoly is Softpoly 2 itself.
Here there are some low resolution presets and there's a fallback for next run if OpenGL fails. And with some crappy old drivers D3D9Ex can fail even when there's aero but i added a fallback to D3D9 and then to GDI. Performance here is pretty much the same.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: LZDoom 3.86a 06/21 released

Post by Graf Zahl »

Last survey, 32 bit was 1.5% of all users. Last survey where GL2 was still in, 32 bit wad 3%, and GL2 was slightly less than 5%.
And since last year Windows 7 saw the end of support and a massive drop in numbers. If you want to keep support for it, fine, but expect portability problems to come when GZDoom doesn't try to preserve 32 bit support anymore.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've released a couple of devbuilds to try this: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... to-lzdoom/
And also to check performance on 32 bit.
Rachael wrote:GZDoom would set a few defaults (but not the actual CVars) to compensate for the loss of speed with SoftPoly
Now the engine starts in a new half native scale mode, people were not changing the scale and they complained that it was very slow. For OpenGL the difference is much smaller but still it's a bit slower (before the default resolution was 640x480). They just won't change the resolution.
How about the automap zoom speed now? I also merged that software sprite shadows thing.
https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/

(I've also uploaded a GZDoom legacy devbuild for nostalgic people to the gzdoom-vintage folder)
Itschristian

Post by Itschristian »

Can i use OpenGL renderer for my OpenGL 1.1 laptop?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

No. But is it really a 1.1 laptop from the nineties or you haven't installed a graphics driver?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Kamil wrote:In the previous dev build, there is no problem with screen freezing. I checked. And I didn't follow the news.
What have you done? Must be a wrong ini or a wrong savegame from a different version. Those l4.5pre devbuilds are completely incompatible with the current autobuilds.
BTW i don't know how to move posts if that's even possible so i put yours in HOU.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've backported the compat_oldrandom flag to the old branch. It was about vanilla play specifically this: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nt=2180862
I've also uploaded another test build for modern LZDoom. https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/lz ... 53e1e2b.7z
I've extended support for the old branch for several reasons, GZDoom development being very slow right now and due to the COVID situation but i still don't know if there will be another release from the old branch. Besides i'm on the Doom Realm Español discord and most guys there (from south america) are on GL2 hardware.
Kamil
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kamil »

Oh. I understand what you mean.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I plan to release a new version one of these days to fix some bugs and add some ZScript features, i've continued development of the old branch until now for the reasons i mentioned above. So it would be good if you could test today's devbuild to find as many bugs as possible, and this will be the last 3.8x release for real.
On the other hand i'm forced to add a sponsors button to my GitHub repo, something i don't like, becouse my financial situation is very bad again and i can't find a real job and in case someone wants to help development. At least Beloko has helped to pay my internet connection. I've linked to Ko-fi and Liberapay pages. :(
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I'm using the October 6th build. So far no problems :)
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

Some WADs have incompatible textures (this is why sprites have an exclamation mark.). It annoys me. I am deleting this exclamation mark sprite (with SLADE) and it doesn't bother me anymore. Is it possible in the future to make the icons not bother the player's eyes?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Thanks, but actually there was a problem since the level refactor in January 2019 (and who knows what else). I've added another couple of hacks to deal with it.
I've added the Level member to thinkers but i've just copied the global level variable and i've also added a bool() operator to FLevelLocals so you can use !level from ZScript.
I'm not sure about those but Triple M now runs. If someone else could have a look at these last two commits i'd appreciate it. Thanks!

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... 69ffc15270
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... bec76c7196
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Actually that didn't work, amazingly i used the undo function in Slade and then saved but the pk3 wasn't saved. And now i see that copy to clipboard doesn't work either.
I get the error with TripleM.pk3 in line 91 of zminecraft/event.txt : if (!level || level.LevelName == 'TitleMap') and it says Numeric type expected. It runs when i remove the !level part. Does that implicit operator come from having now a operator new operator in FLevelLocals?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Maybe I'm missing something, but there is no relation between C++ operator bool and Thinker.Level which is ZScript object pointer.
Also, the change to DThinker is not quite correct as it doesn't handle traveling between levels.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Then i don't know how to handle traveling. I thought that level in the mod was a LevelLocals variable, then i don't know how to fix that either and i don't know why !level is allowed.

Return to “Game Engines”