LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: LZDoom 3.82 'rogue' 07/19 released

Post by site »

drfrag wrote:It's disabled when values are 0 (using the menu command). I changed the sliders since before non reasonable values were allowed.
Thank you for the clarification!
Kamil
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kamil »

GZDoom Legacy 3.7.2 had the best performance. LZDoom is much better than modern GZDoom but worse than Legacy 3.7.2
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Really? On which hardware? Are you talking about the GL renderer?
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I am using an HP Pavilion G6 2316er laptop. Always played with Open GL rendering
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I don't know, may be it's something i ported back. Could be the dithering in the present shader? AFAIK it's almost free.
Also portals were very slow in that renderer. I've reduced recursion level for mirrors recently after playing ph_mini, it has some kind of HOM effect.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

Maybe. I'm sorry, but I'm not a programmer. If I knew what was the matter, I would tell you the details. Your build of GZDoom 3.7.2 Legacy was the fastest
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Did you compare it to 3.61b4? You could also check the latest vintage devbuild but they're about to be deleted.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I did not install version-3.61b4.New vintage builds work very strange in terms of speed. I also found commands that can increase FPS-vid_refreshrate and vid_maxfps.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I noticed that the test build is faster than the previous ones - I'm talking about lzdoom-d-x64-3.82-122-g55af0b11c.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I uploaded that one myself, it's a different compiler configuration then. But it's a VS 2017 RelWithDebInfo build, should be the same.
The latest vintage devbuild was also uploaded by me.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I have a couple of ideas for optimizing LZDoom - remove ASC or minimize them,Intel processor support to prevent OpenGL accelerated error,probably support for higher resolution monitors,support for better lighting, like GZDoom, or support for motion blur shaders.I’ll tell you from myself. I always only needed lighting in gzdoom and good compatibility with new mods. I don’t need much more. You are our last hope. I appreciate your efforts and I believe that you make an excellent port from LZDoom. Good luck in everything ;)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm not really sure what you want here but let's not forget that the sole reason for LZDoom's existence is to keep support for older hardware that cannot run a modern GZDoom build.
That very scenario means that most of the things you have asked for are out. Making performant shaders for old hardware is a time consuming and problematic task - that's why OpenGL 2.x only supports fixed function rendering, no shaders, no special effects etc. Even on the lowest settings these systems tend to be maxed out with the poor OpenGL drivers on offer.

You are also aware that making all this stuff will occupy a developer for a significant amount of time - and to target legacy OpenGL versions you need someone with very special skills,but most of these people have moved on to more modern hardware. To put it simply: It's not fun writing OpenGL 2.x software because it is so limited and many parts essentially broken.
So don't expect any miracles here. If you are stuck with such old hardware you have to accept that few developers are willing to focus on such development, and many who do merely try to keep existing software operational, not to extend it.

All things considered this means that nearly everything you listed is way out of scope for a legacy fallback port . High end features (like motion blur and 'better lighting') have to stand back in such a scenario. BTW, LZDoom has all the lighting options GZDoom has, but if your hardware is just too old, you won't be able to use them, it's that simple. I once tried to run shaders on genuine legacy hardware, the result was that the already low performance totally tanked.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

At the very beginning, I wrote only ideas that can be done to optimize but they were not mine. A little later, I voiced my point of view. That I have enough lighting and support for new mods. All
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Kamil wrote:I did not install version-3.61b4.New vintage builds work very strange in terms of speed. I also found commands that can increase FPS-vid_refreshrate and vid_maxfps.
Excuse me, do you have vsync off and what kind of FPS are you getting here that it's higher then the 200FPS max default?

Becuase, err, if you're getting more then 200 fps I don't see what you're complaining about.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

LZDoom works better with these commands, but not everything is so good with speed. In Zandronum, everything worked fine for me with maximum settings. The same goes for GZDoom. Prior to version 3, everything worked perfectly for me everywhere.

Return to “Game Engines”