LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: LZDoom [beta 4 11/29 released]

Post by TDRR »

Hey drfrag, sorry for bothering yet again with my dumb questions but this one should be easy to answer.

What is the bare minimum required to compile LZDoom? I really don't want to download 2GB of VS junk just for Doom.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Windows#MinGW

Hey i wrote that article. But that depends on what you want to do, MinGW-w64 builds can't be debugged on 32 bit machines. There are a few graphic problems and crashes on exit (may be not since i added hacks) plus performance will be somewhat worse. Besides it's three to four times slower than VS and the linker it's also very slow for Debug builds. But hey it's only 200 MB or so and it works. :)
Edit: i guess you tried the devbuild and it worked.
Rachael said it could be added to the download page but i'd need an icon (the existing ones were done by Tormentor667).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It doesn't have to be made by Tormentor667. If he's not willing to do it, I'll take any replacement.
Aleasdf
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Aleasdf »

It just happens to me, or in some mods (like Brutal Doom), some sprites seem to disappear and appear for some reason?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Just checked and runs fine for me. Last beta? Are you using the hardware renderer? BD v21? Which card, amd? I guess it's a driver problem and you need to update your video drivers.

Tormentor667 has made the icons and logo and they are great, i've uploaded them to the repo. Thanks very much! :wub:
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... 69f39037f4
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Wow this looks good! So here's the image in case someone hasn't figured out how to open it in GitHub.

Oh yeah what i came to say, LZDoom doesn't compile on (latest? got it only 3 months or so ago) MinGW, i keep getting errors in the XInput file, such as "somethinghere was not defined in this scope" And i really don't know how to fix it.
I didn't compile it back on the multiplayer thread, it was a friend that had V2017 installed (yeah what a luxury!) and did me the favor of compiling it.
While i guess i could go over to his house and ask him to compile it for me, that's way too slow and i would rather want to test all my changes quickly.
Last edited by TDRR on Thu May 30, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

TDRR wrote: Oh yeah what i came to say, LZDoom doesn't compile on (latest? got it only 3 months or so ago) MinGW, i keep getting errors in the XInput file, such as "somethinghere was not defined in this scope" And i really don't know how to fix it..
MinGW's support for non-core Windows features is extremely lackluster and it has been like this for nearly all eternity.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Graf Zahl wrote:MinGW's support for non-core Windows features is extremely lackluster and it has been like this for nearly all eternity.
Is it possible to completely get rid of XInput support then? I can give it the final compile over at my friend's house for the final release's xinput support if that's possible.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But LZDoom and GZDoom both actually compile with MinGW (i mean MinGW-W64), you need to download the package mentioned in the wiki. I wrote very specific instructions there. In the end i even got XInput working with TDM-GCC for ZDoom32 and LE. The main problem with MinGW is its semi-abandoned state.
What's the problem here? A slow internet connection? In that case you could create a VS offline installer at your friend's home, i wrote instructions for that on some thread.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I didn't read all the seven pages, so disregard this post if it's already asnwered, but is there any reason to not offer LZDoom already compiled in a downloadable form? Most people aren't used to compiling stuff on their own (even with tutorials), it scares a lot of folks away.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The download link is in the first page, but that version is 900 commits behind the current g3.3mgw. I will release another version very soon but first i'll do a point release for the vintage build. There's a recent rogue devbuild here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vintage/

On compilation until recently it still compiled with TDM-GCC but there were serious problems and broke definitely with the HQ resize update, then i made some cleanup that's why i think you get the XInput error. MinGW-w64 is very lightweight but also extremely slow (three to four times slower) compared to VS and there are funny graphic problems besides possible crashes on exit so it's not really suitable for releases.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

drfrag wrote:The download link is in the first page, but that version is 900 commits behind the current g3.3mgw. I will release another version very soon but first i'll do a point release for the vintage build. There's a recent rogue devbuild here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vintage/

On compilation until recently it still compiled with TDM-GCC but there were serious problems and broke definitely with the HQ resize update, then i made some cleanup that's why i think you get the XInput error. MinGW-w64 is very lightweight but also extremely slow (three to four times slower) compared to VS and there are funny graphic problems besides possible crashes on exit so it's not really suitable for releases.
Alright, i will see if i can make that offline install and get it to work here. Thanks for the advice!

Next update will have MinGW support again?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60289
MinGW-w64 is MinGW but not the original version, that one was abandoned long ago. Again you need to download the right package.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

drfrag wrote:It's here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60289
MinGW-w64 is MinGW but not the original version, that one was abandoned long ago. Again you need to download the right package.
Well, sadly the version i'm using is just regular old MinGW32, not MinGW-w64 or anything else.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Why sadly? Just download the new version.

Return to “Game Engines”