LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: LZDoom 3.82 'rogue' 07/19 released

Post by drfrag »

wildweasel wrote:If you're encountering this issue, you should try clearing out your browser cookies and cache
Couldn't it be a session time limit? Has happened to me several times after being logged in for a while.
Kamil wrote:In LZDoom and GZDoom there is no normal transition of the application to the desktop
What do you mean?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Kamil wrote:I updated the video card drivers (I have not updated them since 2013).
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I mean that you cannot exit the game using the Windows button
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Can you do that in Zandro? Why don't you quit using F10 or ALT+F4?
What is a GP? :roll:
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@drfrag
I assume "GPU drivers" lmao
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's "GP..." not "GP" (as in speaking half the sentence before realizing that it's pointless.)
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

Hello guys
I tried to run PB with the maximum settings for the game and the LZDoom port itself on the computer. Intel g3220. Video card-Nvidia gtx 750ti-2gb. Everything works perfectly.
I didn’t have any problems even on an old computer with GZDoom. The video card was Nvidia geforce 9600. Some processor from AMD (I don’t remember which one already)
And the laptop had performance problems in GZDoom (HP Pavilion g6 2316er)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

For the record, the oldest fully supported cards for GZDoom 4.x are the Geforce 8 series, which are the oldest GL 3 cards that have a working driver. There should really be no need to resort to LZDoom on those. I had a Geforce 8600 until 2012 and aside from huge levels performance has always been more than adequate. Of course it won't be happy with something like Frozen Time... ;)
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

Why does the AMD video card have poor performance in GZDoom and LZDoom and does NVIDIA have no problems with this?
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

How do I properly configure a crappy AMD graphics card for maximum LZDoom performance?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Kamil wrote:Why does the AMD video card have poor performance in GZDoom and LZDoom and does NVIDIA have no problems with this?
It's a driver problem. Submitting a single draw call takes 20x as long on AMD as on NVidia. Since executing the draw call takes a lot less time on modern hardware, all that time is just lost.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

leodoom85 wrote:I assume "GPU drivers" lmao
Graf Zahl wrote:It's "GP..." not "GP"
So it was not Grand Prix neither Graphic Processor. :)
Graf Zahl wrote:For the record, the oldest fully supported cards for GZDoom 4.x are the Geforce 8 series, which are the oldest GL 3 cards that have a working driver.
I had an 8400 GS but i had to exchange it for a radeon x1500 since it was a crappy cheapo brand (POV) and picture quality was abysmal, the radeon had bad caps.
LZDoom still has the old hacks for AMD GL3 cards AFAIK and the risky modern path option.
I estimate half the performance for an equivalent AMD card on both ports tough.

But hey i've just added low detail mode (160x200) to the list of preset scale modes so all performance problems should now be gone. :mrgreen:
It was very easy but the UI looks horizontally stretched and there's no workaround but it's not that bad and if it works it works(tm). :P
Just kidding 160x100 was already allowed and it was even worse , now i need to add PC Speaker emulation and hey this will be da real thing baby. :P
@dpJudas: too bad it doesn't work on D3D. :wink:
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

LooooL XD
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

drfrag wrote: But hey i've just added low detail mode (160x200) to the list of preset scale modes so all performance problems should now be gone. :mrgreen:

On a hardware renderer that wouldn't make one bit of a difference, unless the card is so weak that it cannot keep up with the driver's performance.
Even with the lousy entry level AMD chip in my brother's laptop I get a comfortable 30 fps on Frozen Time and the GPU in that thing is only slightly better than a Geforce 8600, although it does support Vulkan...

And here's the main reason why my interest in legacy support is so low, if even an entry level card from 12 years ago can handle the game acceptably.
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

That's awesome. Sadly, AMD's doing a lot of bad things. I thought GZDoom had poor performance due to poor optimization. It turns out AMD's shitty drivers

Return to “Game Engines”