QZDoom - ZDoom with True-Color (Version 1.3.0 released!)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: QZDoom - ZDoom with True-Color (Version 1.2.2 released!)

Postby Rachael » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 am

There's absolutely no reason to drop them. QZDoom can be used as a GZDoom replacement with full GZDoom support (though it is not intended to be), and activating the hardware renderer makes those menu options valid.

When Graf ZScriptifies the menu system, it may be possible to hide some while the hardware renderer is activated, and hide others when it's not.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby NightFright » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 am

Ah, I see. I didn't know you can switch to GL mode with vid_renderer 1. Thanks a lot for clearification! Seems to be the "best of both worlds solution", then (32-bit software and OpenGL renderer united).
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Rachael » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:57 am

One of the original reasons for it was to be able to downstream GZDoom features using the same structures and code. (Something that's already being utilized to some effect)

Another was the convenience of having both an OpenGL and a truecolor software renderer in the same executable.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Gez » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:19 am

It also gives dpJudas a place to tinker with OpenGL experiments before suggesting them to Graf. One of its first "mission" in that capacity was finishing up the SSAO feature.
Gez

Postby Dynamo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:07 am

Does QZDoom's renderer support resizing of skies? Because the original software mode had this problem: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54219
Dynamo
Gecko on the run

Postby Rachael » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:13 am

I don't know about Softpoly, but I know that the Carmack renderer is still restricted to 512-high skies and even using anything that tall is undefined behavior at the moment. (What's likely to happen is the top of the texture will be shown as the "sky floor" and the bottom will be the "actual sky")

If you are targeting QZDoom, for now I would recommend GZDoom's old skybox trick that took advantage of the Unreal-style skybox, and just draw yourself a cube sector and put in the textures there with a skybox actor floating off of the floor. If you are not doing maps in your projects though - all I can tell you is proper sky support is something I have on my wish list, but I've not had very much motivation lately to do actual coding, myself. >_<
Rachael
Admin

Postby Dynamo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Fair enough. Well, there's still palvers in theory, so I could define a different sky texture for use in software mode. I definitely hope this gets fixed sometime, but thanks anyway :)
Dynamo
Gecko on the run

Postby Gez » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Last time I looked into it, you needed 544 texels to avoid any tiling. At least it's what I wrote in sky stretching.
Gez

Postby Rachael » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 pm

I could be wrong but when I was trying to fix a bug in QZDoom with regards to sky layering, I discovered this in the source code (referencing GZDoom's current commit for now, since that code is unmodified and I haven't had a chance to look at QZDoom's code lately - so this is what I remembered working with at the time) -

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... e.cpp#L626

Code: Select allExpand view
// Allow for layer skies up to 512 pixels tall. This is overkill,
// since the most anyone can ever see of the sky is 500 pixels.
// We need 4 skybufs because R_DrawSkySegment can draw up to 4 columns at a time.

Obviously, that's changed thanks to multi-threaded rendering, but it references the original sky code (from before capped skies were introduced into the software renderer).

So needing 544 pixels is a bit surprising to me.
Rachael
Admin

Postby dpJudas » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:19 pm

I just rewrote the sky drawing code to no longer use those skybuf buffers that Eruanna is talking about. Don't know if that fixed the original problem or not, but at least those buffers aren't the problem anymore.
dpJudas

Postby sonic_HD87 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:29 pm

As Nash said, this is more like "GZDoom for low-end PCs". Thanks to it can access to some GZDoom goodies from recent builds! :wub:

I know that mimic GZDoom is not the goal here, but i wouldn't mind if takes that direction.
sonic_HD87
Intel GM45 Master Race

Postby Nash » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:27 am

With the eventual implementation of GL skyboxes, models and flat sprites - plus dynamic lights properly lighting sprites (it currently does not, I understand this is WIP) - it WILL pretty much be GZDoom for ghetto computers. :P

Can't thank Eruanna and dpJudas enough for all the hard work put into this. Thank you so much for making this for the community to enjoy! <3
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby dpJudas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks for the support! Not sure we can promise all those features, but maybe in time some of them will get implemented. Just keep in mind that there's a reason the GPU was invented - the dynamic lights in particular is a nice illustration that some features will be difficult to deliver at an acceptable frame rate. :)
dpJudas

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 am

sonic_HD87 wrote:As Nash said, this is more like "GZDoom for low-end PCs".

Any low end PC of recent years will have better performance with hardware acceleration. Your low end must be VERY low. :twisted:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby sonic_HD87 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:34 am

Graf Zahl wrote:Any low end PC of recent years will have better performance with hardware acceleration. Your low end must be VERY low. :twisted:

A 2006 laptop with Intel chipset that still giving the fight! ò.ó
sonic_HD87
Intel GM45 Master Race

PreviousNext

Return to Game Engines