Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Naitguolf

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by Naitguolf »

biospud wrote:
Naitguolf wrote:Works great, so far, but with last version, when i teleport, the screen shakes extrange :S
Do you recall whether teleport looked better in earlier versions of GZ3Doom?
Can you recommend a teleporting level that exercises this problem?
Sure, just play Episode 2, Level 1 from Ultimate Doom (or just Doom) and go to the teleport.

I dont remember any other version of Gz3DooM earlier with that issue.
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

Is movebob 0.05 really better than zero?
I say so. I think it's pretty jarring when there's none as all, because then it feels like you're moving around on a scooter or something, or hanging on a hook attached to wheels.

Maybe the problem is that the bob speed/interval is unnaturally slow when you're running fast (which in Doom is usually always) so perhaps for this project it might do well to speed it up depending on how fast you go. If it was exactly halved/twice as fast when running, it would feel much better.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:Works great, so far, but with last version, when i teleport, the screen shakes extrange :S
I think the teleport shake might be fixed in the latest release (v1.8.6_g).
Also, some of the forced head tracking in Call of Dooty 3 now allows a little flexibility. But the shake-when-firing effect in Call of Dooty 3 seems to be a "feature" of that mod.

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Well I tested it, even without having the oculus rift, and, wow, the result was great :O

I tried my mod called cursed maze, but the game title was just a black box '-'...
Also, is there a way to show a image in "fullscreen"? I made a blink effect on this game, but using vr mode it only show in a little box and not in fullscreen '-', if there's a way to fix it, pls tell me D:...
This only make me want to buy the oculus rift D:
biospud

Post by biospud »

ibm5155 wrote:Well I tested it, even without having the oculus rift, and, wow, the result was great :O

I tried my mod called cursed maze, but the game title was just a black box '-'...
Also, is there a way to show a image in "fullscreen"? I made a blink effect on this game, but using vr mode it only show in a little box and not in fullscreen '-', if there's a way to fix it, pls tell me D:...
This only make me want to buy the oculus rift D:
Thanks for the kind words. In Rift mode, the non-3D HUD items are restricted to a rectangle in the center of the view, because the actual edges of the display are ordinarily not visible in the Rift. I actually don't know much about how to create effects in doom mods, but I do know that the gzdoom effects for 1) the little flash that occurs when you pick up an item, and 2) the green cast that occurs when you don a radiation suit, do affect the full display, not just the center rectangle. So if you could somehow arrange for your flash effect to use that same mechanism, that might be a good approach.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

biospud wrote:
I think the teleport shake might be fixed in the latest release (v1.8.6_g).
Also, some of the forced head tracking in Call of Dooty 3 now allows a little flexibility. But the shake-when-firing effect in Call of Dooty 3 seems to be a "feature" of that mod.

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/
Thanks! A new version!!

I am not skilled but, did you think to team with some magical code wizard here to make an "improve" Oculus Rift mod for Gz3DooM? I mean, to add some stuff specially for stereo vision. Like weapon independant that view, hands when pussing buttons, able to see your foot when looking down (not need to be 3d, just 2d image) and so on. It feels SO great playing DooM with Oculus... :) You dont know how much grateful I am for your work Biospud.

Edit: Tested, now teleport works great! :)
Last edited by Naitguolf on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Here's a little test about image on screen, also, with that you can see that vr_mode 3 and 4 are wrong, the should show two images and not a single one...
too bad, I think I've found a trick to make things render outside that cube '-', but I'll try more to see if I can to it :D
Attachments
test.pk3
(18.91 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Whoa, tried now with PSX DooM (and smooth doom) and this turned great!! A pity the maps are less complex, but the sound, the ambiance, and the DooM II enemies on DooM 1 maps fells fresh and great on GZ3DooM :)
biospud

Post by biospud »

Announcing the release of version 1.8.6_h of GZ3Doom, a stereoscopic 3D mod of GZDoom, for the Oculus RiftVR head set, Nvidia 3D vision glasses, and other 3D eyewear. Recent improvements in this release include:
  • First Mac version of GZ3Doom released
  • Aspect ratio now correct in both non-Rift and Rift modes
Download this release and learn more at the GZ3Doom page.

(Installers are available for both Mac OS X and Windows)

Please report GZ3Doom issues at Github.
mrC

Post by mrC »

Amazing, simply amazing! I dont have OR, but Doom in vr_mode 4 with 3Dscreen is amazing!!!

Please give more love to nonRift vr_mode 4 and GZ3Doom is going to be best thing that happend to doom since brutal doom (atleast for me) ;)

There are 2 ugly problems in vr_mode 4 (tested with GZ3Doom version 1.8.6_h)

Problem 1) (Reported to GIT as https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/51)
Wrong weapon position in nonRift stereo (vr_mode 4 and 3)
I understand that its important to have hovering weapon in Rift mode but in nonRift modes its just wrong and disturbing. The "vr_weapon_height" does not work. Please can you move weapons down to bottom of the screen in vr_mode 4 and 3 (weapons should appear on the same place as in vr_mode 0, 1 and 2).

1920x1080 screenshots of misplaced weapons in vr_mode 4:
Spoiler:
Problem 2) (Reported to GIT as https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/52)
Problematic menu, HUD, map, texts, crosshair and other 2D efects in nonRift Stereo. All these things are (in vr_mode 4 and 3) visualised normally old way only in mono above the stereo scene! Can you fix it?
It seems that you already fixed it for Rift mode long time ago (https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/2), can it be fixed for nonRift stereo modes too?
Right now is this problem partly covered with https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/24, but it isnt just problem of HUD, its also problem of menu, maps, crosshair, etc... Please fix it for vr_mode 4 and 3.

1920x1080 screenshots of problematic menu and text in vr_mode 4:
Spoiler:
1920x1080 screenshots of problematic 2D effects in vr_mode 4:
Spoiler:
Problem 3) (Reported to GIT as https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/53)
Also I noticed addon specific problem in vr_mode 4 (for example in brutal doom). When is player in zoom than the stereo effect for scene is wrong. Would be nice if You could somehow fix this too, it would be like cherry on the top, but first 2 problems are more important (quite deal breakers) for vr_mode 4

1920x1080 screenshots in vr_mode 4 of wrong stereo with zoom:
Spoiler:
1920x1080 screenshot of same scenery in vr_mode 4 with normal stereo without zoom:
Spoiler:
Problem 4) (just a cosmetic problem) (Reported to GIT as https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/54)
vr_mode 4 and 3 needs bigger weapons, while for Rift is smaller size of weapons great (https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/1), its not so great for nonRift stereo with vr_mode 4 and 3, Its nothing serious but I think its worth mentioning.

BTW: Dont forget to add on GZ3Doom homepage paypal donate link, when you fix those problems for vr_mode 4 I would like to buy you beer.

Cacowards for GZ3Doom;)
SlinkyWinky

Post by SlinkyWinky »

Thank you SO much for fulfill my dream! Any news on the DK2 support? Mine will arrive within the week and I would love to be able to play sometime in the near future.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

I ordered my Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2, now I just have to wait on them to restock, and then ship it. So I will probably get mine by next month.

Other than trying to figure out how to make stuff for it, one of my top priorities is to try out Doom with it. Thanks for making that possible! :D

I am also excited to try Doom 4 and Alien: Isolation with it.

Man, when I'm working on my Aliens stuff, at 3 am like I usually do; all spaced out, and bugged eyed. I wonder if the VR experience is going to start fucking with my head. I'll probably feel like Dr. Frankenstein, being killed by my own creations. Talk about surrealism...

Here's a disturbing scenario; imaging falling asleep with it on, and walking up feeling as though you're completely immersed in the virtual world. I'm sure its happened to some already.
SlinkyWinky

Post by SlinkyWinky »

Awesome! Too bad colonial Marines was a let down. Can't wait to see what you've been working on. I've always loved the Aliens universe.

Lol! I'll have to try falling asleep/pass out with mine on.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Hey I found a bug :D
When I was playing The Ghoul's Forest III, the hud and the menu went black when I died, and it only went bright when I restart the level :S
Shame, this mod is perfect for oculus rift D:
Antraxx

Post by Antraxx »

Joined the forums after trying this awesome mod! I've always dreamed one day that Doom engine games would one day be 3D (I've always seen them this way in my head). You've done a great job of giving a new sense of 'WOW' to these tried and true classics! I love how projectiles look when they are fired towards me. I also love how in front and personal the held weapons are.

I just have one question: Is there a way to increase the 3D depth even more? I've been gaming in 3D (using a 3D TV) for a few years now, and I like to play with a lot of depth on. Is there an option to change in the INI or anything? Or are you planning on adding this setting to the in-game UI? On that note, is there also a setting for convergence amount (depth controls overall amount things are far apart in 3D space, and convergence affects how much close objects pop "out" towards player).

Again, great work, and thanks for making gamer's dream come true! :)

(I did find some bugs in Heretic, but I'll post those to the official bug thread).

Return to “Game Engines”