Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
biospud

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:Hope biospud update, since some issues when camera shakes, for example on Call of Dooty 3...
I finally tested Call of Dooty 3 today. I did not see major issues when the camera shakes during marksmanship training. So maybe the problem is improved in the latest version of GZ3Doom.

But the forced head motions in the Call of Dooty 3 narrative are positively nauseating in the Rift. For this reason, I declare Call of Dooty 3 to be incompatible with the Oculus Rift. Fusing the two makes both the Oculus Rift and Call of Dooty 3 look bad.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Another slightly off topic post but - how are other (commercial) games dealing with forced camera movements? I bet there are plenty of those in all of those modern scripted shooters with their cutscenes and what-not.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Nash wrote:Another slightly off topic post but - how are other (commercial) games dealing with forced camera movements? I bet there are plenty of those in all of those modern scripted shooters with their cutscenes and what-not.
I'm not entirely sure if this is how most of them do it, but when I do something like that, I have a model (or just a skeleton with animations) and the camera gets positioned and rotated to the rotation and position of one of the limbs of the skeleton each frame.
Nash

Post by Nash »

That's not what I meant. What I meant was how are those games handling forced camera movements with the Rift. Do they disable all of the movement so you can freely rotate your head around during cutscenes, or are they forced just like if you play on a regular monitor and therefore induce vomiting... :P
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I imagine unless the cutscenes were developed with Oculus in mind they're going to be one directional. SFM source files are a good example of a cutscene format that would work flawlessly with Oculus... but a premade cutscene (like a movie file) made from SFM wouldn't work that way at all. So how many games actually use in-game cutscene material these days? I know the N64 HAD to in order to save space...
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah when I said cutscenes I meant in-engine cutscenes of course. Prerendered videos are out of the question.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

biospud wrote:
Naitguolf wrote:Hope biospud update, since some issues when camera shakes, for example on Call of Dooty 3...
I finally tested Call of Dooty 3 today. I did not see major issues when the camera shakes during marksmanship training. So maybe the problem is improved in the latest version of GZ3Doom.

But the forced head motions in the Call of Dooty 3 narrative are positively nauseating in the Rift. For this reason, I declare Call of Dooty 3 to be incompatible with the Oculus Rift. Fusing the two makes both the Oculus Rift and Call of Dooty 3 look bad.
Yay, a new release. Thank you Biospud!! I will test it tonight :) Glad the shake effect didnt cause issues (Call of Dooty was just a recent example, i will test with other WADs) Hope you will add a parameter to edit the hud weapon, since always seems to be "flying".
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote: Yay, a new release. Thank you Biospud!! I will test it tonight :) Glad the shake effect didnt cause issues (Call of Dooty was just a recent example, i will test with other WADs) Hope you will add a parameter to edit the hud weapon, since always seems to be "flying".
I'm uncertain if it's exactly what you want, but I added a new console variable "vr_weapon_height" that might help; in today's release GZ3Doom 1.8.6_d.

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Yes! Thats it! Again, thank you very much!
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

A curiosity, are you ever going to implement independent looking and aiming? I know it will look very silly to have floating weapon sprites with cut off arms, but it's still something. Perhaps the HUD should stick to the aiming point as well, then. I imagine this would be very hard to code, though.

And as for Doom's intense view bobbing causing motion sickness - perhaps it can just be reduced by default? Setting movebob (controls bobbing intensity) to 0.05 seems to be a good value.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Will you be updating this to devkit 2 or are you going to wait for the consumer version? :)
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Works great, so far, but with last version, when i teleport, the screen shakes extrange :S
biospud

Post by biospud »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:Will you be updating this to devkit 2 or are you going to wait for the consumer version? :)
I'm expecting my own DK2 to arrive in August. At that point I plan to make GZ3Doom work with the DK2.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:Works great, so far, but with last version, when i teleport, the screen shakes extrange :S
Do you recall whether teleport looked better in earlier versions of GZ3Doom?
Can you recommend a teleporting level that exercises this problem?
biospud

Post by biospud »

MG_Man wrote:A curiosity, are you ever going to implement independent looking and aiming? I know it will look very silly to have floating weapon sprites with cut off arms, but it's still something. Perhaps the HUD should stick to the aiming point as well, then. I imagine this would be very hard to code, though.

And as for Doom's intense view bobbing causing motion sickness - perhaps it can just be reduced by default? Setting movebob (controls bobbing intensity) to 0.05 seems to be a good value.
Independent look/aim has been on my list for a long time. But frankly I'm not even going to start working on it until many other, more basic, features are flawless. As I've said before, that's more of a 2015 feature.

Is movebob 0.05 really better than zero?

Return to “Game Engines”