Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
biospud

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by biospud »

Fishbiter wrote:It should flip if you set openvr_righthanded to 0.

You can define locomotion onto the controllers. Maybe I took the wrong route here, but I just assigned the openvr inputs to appropriate looking existing inputs. It's confusing because some of those happen to be bound by default and some aren't.

Thank you for doing the hard part!
Thanks! I now got the left handed weapon sorted.

The BFG is such a huge weapon, but feels comically light with the Vive controller weighing just a few ounces (200g). It feels like it's just a cardboard shell. There's probably no way to add a five pound (2.5kg) weight to the controller automatically when selecting the BFG :D

I set up the controls as you suggested, so now it remembers. It would be nice if the initial controller configuration had bindings for menu, up, down, and select, so everything could be set up from from the first session in VR.

I wish the touch pad controls would only activate when I actually fully click the pad. Right now the actions I bound to the pad activate at just lightly touching the pad. Thus selecting items from the menu is a no go, because a slight touch causes the menu selection to zoom past multiple items. It is very frustrating, so I have to sit at the stupid old fashioned keyboard (remember those things?) to set up my options. Also, locomotion from the controllers is potentially a huge source of simulator sickness. Using a decisive, quantum gesture involving a full click for locomotion might reduce the potential for sim sickness. When I first tried moving a around at full speed, I very quickly developed a sweaty queasy feeling, which is concerning considering that I have a VR stomach stronger than about 90% of potential players.

I'm so pleased you figured out how to set the weapon direction independent of the view location. I wonder if there are situations where you might be able to place the weapon in locations where you could not place your viewpoint, and sort of cheat as a consequence.

Did you make those 3D weapon models? They are very nice.
Fishbiter

Post by Fishbiter »

The controls should work for the menu from the off. Is that a vive touchpad problem? It would be easy to make a click required. I've only used a vive for 5 minutes about 2 years ago, so I'm not sure what its control setup is like. I assumed it was normal to only require a touch since that seems to be the default in other VR games I've played...?

I'm kind of steering clear of trying to implement comfort stuff: I don't suffer any motion sickness whatsoever so it's hard to judge what to do beyond just blindly copying other games. The beauty of open source is that a sufferer can pick it up and fix for themselves ;)

I just found the weapons floating around online. I needed to resize/position them a bit: putting it in VR revealed you were riding around on a massive arm like a motorbike :D

Can I ask why development stalled previously? Did you ever have any discussions about getting this stuff into the gzdoom mainline?
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

https://gfycat.com/pl/gifs/detail/BothSilentHake q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hyt5eEDG8 vanilla gameplay

bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eKqzLI ... e=youtu.be Brutal Wolfenstein

Looks and works very good, early stage but looks promising.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Is noone seriously interested in Doom in vr? This game feels like it was made for it in the early days.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, not really. Most people really see no point spending money on VR hardware.
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

Graf Zahl wrote:No, not really. Most people really see no point spending money on VR hardware.
I know, there is sense to get high end PC and VR hmd to play just DOOM ;) but some people (like me) want play DOOM with 999 mods more than AAA VR games or something like Skyrim/Fallout/DOOM VFR VR.
Many of us got smartphone S6 and above, and Gear VR now cost really low, mobile VR Doom sounds more real, because is cheaper. Believe me, QuakeVR on Gear VR is really smooth VR game experience - coop/dm
Even after Ready Player One, many people dont believe in VR.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxZFXd4ciE q1dm4 vr duel
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

I appreciate the recent update! Glad to see someone haven't given it up on Doom VR yet.
I think VR is the point where Doom can live for another 20-something years.

VR hardware is way more than sufficient for first true gen, what is really missing is the amount of good software. There are very few titles that serious gamers want to play over and over. And all these titles gets boring after a month or two (Onward, Pavlov, BAM).

Doom has 20 years of community content, and new mods and maps keep coming every week.

I"m not a programmer myself, but I do believe it's 100 times easier to create a good mobile VR port of Doom engine, than it is to make a whole new game from scratch, think about level/sound design etc.

The best mobile VR game up till now is Quake VR. It has been released like 4 years ago, and not a single mobile VR game came even close to how much fun and 'full' it is.
Playing Doom in VR while being tethered to PC feels a bit overkill. This game should run perfectly fine on mobile VR. I hope someone is working secretly on this.. Delta Touch on Android already supports 3D rendering (anaglyph etc) and gyroscope, making it poor mans VR.

But to get it successful this must be advertised appropriately - a wall of text with links is not inviting to anyone but nerds.
Murix

Post by Murix »

Is this Oculus version also compatible with the Vive?
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

I believe it is - it is using SteamVR OpenVR API so it should work with any headset that is compatible with Steam VR.
Why would you choose Vive? Rift is much cheaper, performs about the same. Main differences - Rift has better controller, comes with better headstrap and audio built-in. It also has higher performance. Vive advantages? Front camera (gimmick, if you set up your boundaries properly) and lighthouse system - you need to plug the lighthouse only to the power, no need to run back to USB which is easier to set up. Lighthouse also gives more consistent tracking, but Rift is not bad at all.
Murix

Post by Murix »

[I responded to this in another thread but I'll put it here too]
I have the cash and space. I wanted to play Vive games like Budget cuts, and I like physically peaking corner standing up.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Mainly chose the vive because I had the cash and want to have the most control over the VR space as I can. Also wanted to play budget cuts and Pavlov.

Plus being able to peak around corners and poke your hand out with a gun to shoot something is quite enjoyable in my experience.

But thanks for info on the mod compatibility side, and what's your mod? I would like to take a look at this KVK file as I've never heard of it and see how you set your PK3 up.
Vive isn't really that much different. I do not want to sound like an advertiser - in fact I was day 0 pre order for both headsets, had used both extensively since the beginning. While in 2016 Vive was taking the lead, in 2018 Oculus became much much better with software udpate. VR is here, and it's here to stay, but it's still in its infancy - of course the choice is your but I would definetly recommend Rift to anyone. I also have a lot of space, and with HDMI breakout box to extend the cable it does it's job 95% the as Vive, and then some tasks does it better.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Dear dev, Doom is one of the best things that happened to vr scene for a long while.

It is sad to see it not getting enough love. What would it take for you to continue work on it? I'd love to donate, but I'm not Warren Buffett or Warren G, i can't sponsor the entire project. But i would really really like to see it getting further, especially with allinone headset coming out in May.
Fishbiter

Post by Fishbiter »

I guess I'm the dev you're addressing... Sorry I don't really follow this forum very closely (it seems pretty dead?)

I kind of got to where I wanted to get to with this... I just wanted to play Doom in VR, so it's mission accomplished! I also haven't been very interested in anything VR over summer (too uncomfortable!)

What are you missing? There are 3 main things I might look at:

Analogue movement controls.
Room size movement (not very exciting to me because I don't have much room)
Multiplayer

There's also the suite of comfort options, but as a non-nausea-sufferer I'd be working blind :P
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Thank you for your reply sir. Yes, it was aimed toward you, i think if we are ever going to get proper vr support then you're the right person to work on it ;)

I think the very first priority for me wood be to make it work with upcoming Santa Cruz using Oculus SDK. Santa Cruz is a 6dof all-in-one headset with 4 cameras and 2 touch controllers - so basically a PC rift without need for pc. It will run a forked Android version just like Oculus GO. This could be possibly a lot of work - but the result would be that you could play Doom anywhere, and with unlimited space tracking, those who are lucky enough could play even outside in warehouse etc.

Of course santa won't be as powerful as pc, but Doom is simple enough for it to run very well. Old phones works really good with delta touch. Maybe it would be easier to collaborate with that developer to have a base game working? I would feel ashamed to use it for free, so I'm ready to donate towards the project, and with enough advertising to spike up interest in such old classic, i think more people would continue. Mobile vr is truly suffering from any good content, and like 4 years after first true mobile headset - gear vr - quake remains the best full fledged game, and it doesn't even support hands.

If that is too much to ask - and i understand it is - what i miss in pc version is updated gzdoom build, true roomscale tracking so that my character moves with each of my step instead of my viewpoint only;
Analog controllers would make it much more comfortable to walk around. Multiplayer would be greatly appreciated.
And i think the last thing would be to make use of your left hand - i guess holding the gun with two hands is a lot of work, but maybe we could press a Virtual button attached to the right hand that would simulate certain action, like reload. Now in reloading with a single button, nonimmersive. If i could use my left hand to tap a square in my right hand, it would trigger reload. Cheap workaround, but would do wonders.

Comfort options would be very welcome, but i don't suffer from it myself. I limit the speed using turbo command. Snap turning could be written as config i guess.

Thanks a lot
Fishbiter

Post by Fishbiter »

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's really unlikely I'd be looking at Oculus Go or Santa Cruz (when it's released!) on a hobby project. VR dev is painful enough on PC.

Hooking up actions to gestures might be possible... but Doom doesn't have a reload concept, does it? About the only other control you have is "use".

Return to “Game Engines”