Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
biospud

Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by biospud »

We've been discussing this topic some in another thread already (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 75#p716166), but this topic really belongs here, on the Projects board.

I created a mod of gzdoom that supports Oculus Rift, and other stereoscopic 3D modes. Check it out:
http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/
(Download, source code, documentation etc.)

Indecom

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by Indecom »

Really digging this project so far. Another crit I have is in regards to screen overlays not being rendered in rift mode, menus, screen text, all of that doesnt appear right in the rift. Would be cool if you could find a way to emulate the way that DukeVR handles their screen space rendering.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Indecom wrote:Really digging this project so far. Another crit I have is in regards to screen overlays not being rendered in rift mode, menus, screen text, all of that doesnt appear right in the rift. Would be cool if you could find a way to emulate the way that DukeVR handles their screen space rendering.
Yeah, I think that's by far the worst thing about the current version. But you may have to wait; that's going to require some serious experimentation and refactoring. But it's definitely on my list.
https://github.com/cmbruns/gzdoom/issues/2
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

I only heard about the OR recently, and my first thought was "Man, really wish I could play Brutal Doom with that..."

Guess that idea isn't that far-fetched :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

In my custom fork, I've actually hijacked the unused "roll" actor field to implement camera rolling (by linking that variable to the OpenGL camera) using custom ACS and DECORATE functions.

Looks like i might have to rework that to play well with Rift head tilting... :D
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I think it'd be nice to have an option to make it so the head moves independently of the weapon, if that's possible by any means on the Doom engine. But what you've got so far is pretty good, albeit it's probably difficult to aim a gun with your face.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Actually aiming with your face is easier than with a mouse because you just instinctively look at something, then pull the trigger.
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Gah, dreams can come true you guys! I also vote for the option of independent head, it is easier/more accurate than mouse but there is some merit to being able to quickly look around while you fire at a barrel you already lined up.

Other than that, thanks for all the hard work!
biospud

Post by biospud »

RikohZX wrote:I think it'd be nice to have an option to make it so the head moves independently of the weapon, if that's possible by any means on the Doom engine. But what you've got so far is pretty good, albeit it's probably difficult to aim a gun with your face.
Hmm. That might be tricky to implement. Are there other games that move the weapon independent of the head? If so, I assume there is some sort of crosshair to indicate the weapon aim? Is that crosshair placed at infinite distance in 3D? Or does it dynamically paint the object that would be hit, like a laser sight?
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Thank you very much biospud!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! A real dream.... since 1993 i hope something like this.... now im a few hours....
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

biospud wrote:
RikohZX wrote:I think it'd be nice to have an option to make it so the head moves independently of the weapon, if that's possible by any means on the Doom engine. But what you've got so far is pretty good, albeit it's probably difficult to aim a gun with your face.
Hmm. That might be tricky to implement. Are there other games that move the weapon independent of the head? If so, I assume there is some sort of crosshair to indicate the weapon aim? Is that crosshair placed at infinite distance in 3D? Or does it dynamically paint the object that would be hit, like a laser sight?
Take a look at how TF2's Rift support works. It'll give you a pretty good idea on how to handle the crosshair and whatnot.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Work great, but... it is possible to lower the weapon hud? The hand seems to be "flying"...
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:Work great, but... it is possible to lower the weapon hud? The hand seems to be "flying"...
Yes. The weapon sprite will definitely be repositioned in the next version. I will post back here when the next version is ready. Thanks for the valuable feedback.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Thanks to you. I also tried Aliens Colonial Marine.... i cannot describe the joy.... :____) The DooM community is the best in the world. Period.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Announcing a new release of GZ3Doom, Version 1.8.2_b :

Thank you to everyone for your insightful feedback, which I will be continuing to incorporate into future releases. Keep the feedback coming. I'm listenng.

Download the latest at http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/

Changes include:
* Rename CVARS from st3d_<whatever> to vr_<whatever>, so use "vr_mode 8", not "st3d_mode 8"
* Rift mode weapon is smaller and lower
* Rift mode crosshair might be in the right place
* Menus and intermission screens are now inside the Rift in Rift mode (this was the HARD part)
* Elevate head position somewhat (though I did it the wrong way...)
* vr_ipd (interpupillary distance) is read from Rift SDK, if available.

Return to “Game Engines”