Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
thief6666

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by thief6666 »

Hi ALL,

If you don't have RIFT you can still play this VR gz3Doom in virtual reality.
ALL you need is smartphone (mid range from nexus4 up).

Imagine being INSIDE doom word, imagine life like sized IMPs and zombies, cyberdemon is like 2 and half floor high. Thats what I saw today :)

There is an app called Trinus Gyre (demo free) made especially for VR.
http://oddsheepgames.com/?page_id=134
It streams video from PC to phone. And streams phone gyroscopes data back emulating mouse look. streaming is either through WIFI (some lag but can be lowered to playable) or USB cable (no lag). I am playing it right now and IT is A W E S O M E.

If someone is interested everything is explained in that link. I can also help. You should decrease player speed (turbo 40) and mouse sensitivity.

BIOSPUD: As Naitguols noticed enlarging word helps with getting everything to lit-like scale - he is doing it by lowering res - the right way to do it is actually by LOWERING FOV. but I noticed that FOV adjustments in console do to have any effect in your mod?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Hey just wondering if this is compatible with DK2?

Just got mine yesterday - amazing kit but very vom-inducing. :lol:

I was sceptical of VR before but after trying some of the various demos I am very convinced.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

I have both kits, Devkit 2 does indeed perform much better than the first version. how ever seeing as I lost an eye my stereoscopic 3D vision thing has been lost, with it my depth perception but even then, I still love the rift. Unfortunately I could not get this to work with the devkit 2. however, programing it needs to be handled with care. I've seen some very bad uses with vr. Farcry 3 being one of them for it hijacking your view and making one sick, but I did see some great ones such as Quake2VR. I doubt you will have that with doom, I might have to turn off movebob though. another problem have with VR not sure if its due to losing an eye. but seeing the hud is a very hard process for me. D:
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Just got my oculus rift in today, and have set it up.

I have followed the instructions on the website, and typed int he console command etc. However, I don't see an image of the game in the oculus, just a skewed version of my desktop wall paper. Could someone share with me how to get this running?

I have the demos working fine for me. The oculus light turns blue, and everything looks correct. But when I run gz3doom, the light remains orange, even after I type in vr_mode 8.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Kontra, check on screen resolution panel, both Output devices (your screen and Oculus), on display, choose (I think) clone images (where the same images will be see, screen and Oculus).
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Sorry to bump but has anyone gotten this confirmed working with the DK2?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I tried to get it working and mostly just ended up tearing a lot of hair out for nothing. I may mess with it again sometime soon, but after I got the display set up for Extended Mode (which was annoying enough) I found that moving or turning my head accomplished nothing for my perspective. So, in short, I can't confirm that it works with the DK2.

Now, what would be really really nice is if this thing got developed with a Direct-to-Rift mode specifically for DK2 users. So much less hassle that way. :P
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Well that's disappointing, thanks for letting us know though!
Nash

Post by Nash »

I have some health-related concerns with the recently-added camera rolling features so if anyone has any feedback on how that feature works with the Rift, or has any problems... I'd like to hear them.

EDIT: Link to an actual mod that productively uses the camera roll feature: Quake-style strafe tilting

(Although TBH the same can be said for mods that alter the player's pitch and angle... several weapon mods already exist that do those... I wonder about the health impact those would have on Rift users too)
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Could you elaborate on what you mean by health concerns? Do you mean what would cause discomfort I.e. "Sim Sickness"?

The main thing I can think of would be to account for neck movement when rolling so it seems more natural. That is, the view pans a little to the left or right when tilting.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Maybe...

Nash

Post by Nash »

What I mean is, forced camera movement without input from your head rotation will cause sickness.
DrMoney

Post by DrMoney »

Ohh okay. Sudden unnatural movement such as in Brutal Doom or Call of Dooty I'd say yes, but for something like your Quake Strafe Tilt I'd say mileage may vary based on the user's VR legs. I was planning on trying it out myself once my DK2 arrives.

I think GZ3Doom would have to be recompiled with newest Rift SDK before it'd work with the DK2, but I was gonna try my amateur hand at that as well. If anything the rolling features would help a LOT with comfort and immersion since the view can only rotate with the DK1 version and positional tracking seems to universally help.
biospud

Post by biospud »

DrMoney wrote:Sorry to bump but has anyone gotten this confirmed working with the DK2?
I just now released a new version (GZ3Doom1.8.6_i) at https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/releases . GZ3Doom has always worked with Oculus VR's first development kit, DK1; now GZ3Doom also works with the newer DK2. Positional tracking is not supported yet, but rotational head tracking works just like with the DK1.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Will TrackIR support be a thing for this?

Return to “Game Engines”