Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Max Dickings

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by Max Dickings »

biospud wrote:
Max Dickings wrote:I have a potentially very stupid question -

I'm about to get a free HTC Vive soon, strangely. Does this mean I can Doom in VR ( :shock: :D) or is this only for the Occulus Rift?
At the moment GZ3Doom VR is only for the Oculus Rift. But I too will soon be getting a Vive. So there is a good chance GZ3Doom will eventually work on the Vive. But you may need to have patience.
Glad to hear! I've waited this long to play Doom in VR, or even VR for that matter, so more waiting shouldn't be a problem :D
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

I can't wait for news of your experience!
lamer3d

Post by lamer3d »

So, any news on Vive support?
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

Hm, can I use google cardboard to play this? And will it get updated or merged into official GZDoom branch?
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Hello here, i would want it to play with iwad like Heretic or Hexen, is it possible? To be sure....

It could be very special with the atmosphere of Hexen. (:

EDIT: Ah yes, it seems, we can: http://www.theriftarcade.com/gz3doom-do ... and-hexen/
I must buy one, expensive but i will pay it in multiple times lol
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Hello, I was wondering, which gzdoom version GZ3D 1.8.2b is based on? The thing is, VR_MODE 8 is running okay by instance in that version(talking about PC display) 1.8.10_e requires a few additional thingies to get installed(and most likely an existence of Rift helmet?) to make vr_mode 8 work, which I due to specific reasons cannot do. I have to add that I want to lauch GZ3D with cardboard-like VRBOX2 which works with spherized renders like Oculus Rift, that's why I can't launch it in vr_mode 3.
And so, I also wanted to ask if there is a list with GZ3D revisions between 1.8.2 and 1.8.10?
optimumbox

Post by optimumbox »

Being that it's been almost a year since the release of the commercial vr headsets and half a year at least with motion controls. Are there any plans to continue future updates to this project? So far this is the only ongoing doom 95 vr mod out there.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

What all would be needed for this to be merged into the main GZDoom branch?
Gez

Post by Gez »

It won't; instead the features will be gradually implemented in GZDoom in a cleaner way. At least that was cmbruns/biospud's plan. A lot of stuff is already there.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Part of that cleaner way will be to use Valve's OpenVR API, rather than the native Oculus Rift SDK. Now that gzdoom is licensed GPL, it would be illegal to directly incorporate the Oculus Rift SDK. So future support for the Oculus Rift will be indirect, via OpenVR. Don't worry, I will be testing on both the Rift and the Vive headsets. But it might be a while before all the functionality of GZ3Doom is working in gzdoom.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

This is brilliant! Before you know it, we'll have Gzdoom with VR, client/server, ZScript and a software renderer! About the only thing anyone could want more is larger maps.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Does the current version support the vive? I'm getting mine in a week and i can't wait to play doom with it. Also, Will motion controls work for aiming? It would also be sweet if you could set the weapon model to track with the controller (mostly When using 3d models, but maybe with sprites too). Finally, as unlikely as it is to get, would it be possible to add teleporting with the other controller, like in DOOM VFR?
Fishbiter

Post by Fishbiter »

I picked this up and added motion control support. https://github.com/Fishbiter/gz3doom
biospud

Post by biospud »

Fishbiter wrote:I picked this up and added motion control support. https://github.com/Fishbiter/gz3doom
This is really really awesome. Thank you for picking this up. I have a few comments:

I saw some comments in the commit history about flipping the model for left handed use. How can I switch to the left handed version of the model? It feels weird to see a foreign right forearm sticking out of my left wrist.

I see you added weapon switch controls to the side grip buttons for the Vive controllers. I like that. Have you thought about adding locomotion control on the controllers?

Great job!
Fishbiter

Post by Fishbiter »

It should flip if you set openvr_righthanded to 0.

You can define locomotion onto the controllers. Maybe I took the wrong route here, but I just assigned the openvr inputs to appropriate looking existing inputs. It's confusing because some of those happen to be bound by default and some aren't.

Thank you for doing the hard part!

Return to “Game Engines”