The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWolf)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWo

Post by Blzut3 »

Elevator in this case being ROTT elevators.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Blzut3 wrote:Elevator in this case being ROTT elevators.
What does that mean? Is it a fix for a eventual ROTT support that's not available for the public yet?
And if ROTT gets supported, would modders be able to map with a higher ceiling height in WOLF3D (e.g. for outdoor levels)?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

ROTT elevators have been implemented and mostly worked for quite a while in ECWolf. Its not a direct indicator of any ROTT support, its just a feature that was added to ECWolf since it was simple enough to do and hey why not. All that was done in this version is a bugfix for them.

ROTT support is planned for ECWolf, though it'll probably come out the same time as Doomscript. It's gonna be a while, from what I understand. Though once its in, you'll be able to freely use all its features, I imagine.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

ECWolf only supports a few ROTT features. It can load RTL files and uses the RTL 3rd plane format to do remote triggers and stuff in the forth plane of binary maps. It also supports ROTT's lighting flags and some of the texture formats. This is not unlike how ZDoom 1.x supported some Hexen stuff.

ECWolf doesn't have vertical texture tiling, but it is capable of rendering the floor and ceiling at different heights. If forced by running the renderer 3 times you can get this or this. (These are old screen shots.)
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Blzut3 wrote:ECWolf doesn't have vertical texture tiling, but it is capable of rendering the floor and ceiling at different heights. If forced by running the renderer 3 times you can get this or this. (These are old screen shots.)
That has an interesting result, though not quite like it was in ROTT since the doors also extend up.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The link for the ECWolf legacy version is broken on the download page.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Fixed.
Rokim21
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Rokim21 »

How to i use ECWolf with ZDL?
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Hey I came across an interesting screen shot of ECWOLF utilizing a 3d floor where an enemy was literally below the player on a platform.

Was there ever a tech demo demonatrating the use of 3d floors like the ones used in ZDoom? Anyways, sorry if this is a newb question but I'm very interested in seeing how the engine can handle features such as real 3d floors and layered environments.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

That's a handcrafted screen shot made to encourage editor developers to make a tool set so I could actually work on the feature. What's happening there is the same as stack sectors in that the camera is being moved and another pass of the renderer is being made. About 3-5ish lines of code per layer hard coded into the 3D refresh function (camera Z height is already supported in ECWolf for movement bob and y shearing was added accidentally while trying to implement said movement bob). The clipping there is entirely done via overdraw since the draw order was hard coded.
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

I'm assuming no one's considered a UWMF export add-on for an editor like Tiled yet?
I'd try making one if I could find a good example of the format in use somewhere... The wiki page is helpful, but only for so much. :)
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

cambertian wrote:I'd try making one if I could find a good example of the format in use somewhere... The wiki page is helpful, but only for so much. :)
Chicken and egg problem. :P
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Blzut3 wrote:
cambertian wrote:I'd try making one if I could find a good example of the format in use somewhere... The wiki page is helpful, but only for so much. :)
Chicken and egg problem. :P
You could always hand-write an example, like on the wiki. Doesn't have to be something complex - could just be a square room - enough to get started. :lol:

Regardless, I'll try and work on a TMX converter. I'll try to get in touch with you after I get something going...
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

Hi. I am a big fan of ECWolf, it is the only port I use, as New Wolf won't finish any episodes as it was abandoned before completion, and other ports (Wolf4SDL and Wolf3D Redux) don't work for me. :D

I have a few questions.

Is there any way to get 5.1 surround audio with ECWolf?
If not, are that any future plans on either adding native 5.1 surround, or adding the option of EAX through OpenAL, so the game gets surround sound after being added to Creative ALchemy?

Are you going to add Texture/Sprite filtering?
Have you any plans to add Bilinear/Trilinear/Anisotropic filtering to the textures and possibly 6xBRz filtering for the sprites and HUD/Menu elements? I would love that as an option in a future build.

How does ECwolf handle HD textures?
Can HD textures just be added in or do complicaded .DEF files need to be written for each texture to prevent the top corner of the HD texture filling the space as a SD texture (like I got with the Wolf3D TC for GZdoom).

What resouIution and filesize constrints does ECWolf have on HD Textures?
I would be very interested in creating an UltraHD Texture pack to share here, when I have completed my UltraHD pack for doom 1, 2 and both installments of Final Doom. I would also make UltraHD floor and Ceiling textures too, but I can't handle the .DEF writing and, as such couldn't even succeed in porting the NewWolf textures into the WolfTC for GZDoom.

Keep up the great work! I love the port. :mrgreen:
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

hoover1979 wrote:Is there any way to get 5.1 surround audio with ECWolf?
No.
hoover1979 wrote:If not, are that any future plans on either adding native 5.1 surround, or adding the option of EAX through OpenAL, so the game gets surround sound after being added to Creative ALchemy?
ECWolf might use OpenAL some day, but there are much more important things to take care of. So effectively no plans.
hoover1979 wrote:Have you any plans to add Bilinear/Trilinear/Anisotropic filtering to the textures and possibly 6xBRz filtering for the sprites and HUD/Menu elements? I would love that as an option in a future build.
I'm not sure how effective texture filtering would be in a 256 color renderer? It's certainly possible, but this isn't something I have a personal interest in.
hoover1979 wrote:How does ECwolf handle HD textures? can HD textures just be added in or do complicaded .DEF files need to be written for each texture to prevent the top corner of the HD texture filling the space as a SD texture (like I got with the Wolf3D TC for GZdoom). I would be very interested in aming an UltraHD Texture pack, when I have completed my UltraHD pack for doom 1, 2 and both installments of Final Doom.
You can throw high resolution textures in a directory named hires in a pk3. I have a feeling the 256 color renderer is going to disappoint you though. :P

Return to “Game Engines”