The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWolf)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWolf)

Post by Blzut3 »

Someone has been telling me to post an official thread about it here (you know who you are :P), so here it is! (I wasn't planning on doing this until the binaries were ready, but I guess I can do it now.)

For the few of you that haven't heard of ECWolf yet it is port based on Wolf4SDL that implements modding features similar to ZDoom. In fact some of the code even comes right from ZDoom hence the title of the thread. The port is dual licensed under the Wolf Source License and the GPL.

Some things to expect:
  • Everything referenced by lump names instead of chunk numbers. This means you can load wad, pk3, pk7, grp, pak, etc files.
  • DECORATE support as well as most of the other fancy ZDoom lumps (TEXTURES, SNDINFO, MAPINFO, etc).
  • One executable plays everything.
  • Support for high resolutions with aspect ratio correction (so widescreen/tallscreen support).
  • Better control setup.
  • High resolution texture support.
  • A patching utitlity so that I only need to support 1 version of Wolf3D. But don't worry, the "Read This" has been reconstructed.
  • UWMF: Text based map format similar in a way to UDMF.
Currently, I hope to have the first release out by the end of June. Woolie Wool is already doing testing as well as preparing a tech demo for the release.

I should probably also address "how does this differ from AFADoomer's TC?" Well fundamentally the Wolf3D engine and ZDoom are quite different. For example the enemies in Wolf3D have a radius of 42 which requires them to basically walk through walls whenever going through a narrow hall way. There are many other quirks like this that will probably never be accurately emulated in ZDoom. I don't know all of his plans now that he's attempting source modifications to do the reverse, but I believe that the approach of starting with the Wolf3D code base will result in more accurate play.

Project website: http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/
Mercurial Repository: https://bitbucket.org/Blzut3/ecwolf
Last edited by Blzut3 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xaser

Re: The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thead. (aka ECWol

Post by Xaser »

Whoop! ZWolf Lives. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

One thing that annoys me in the TC is that corpses don't block doors. It's a tiny thing, but it's important.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Just noticed a typo in the UWMF docs:

Code: Select all

activatenoth = <bool>;    // Default: true

activatesouth = <bool>;    // Default: true

activatewest = <bool>;    // Default: true

activateeast = <bool>;    // Default: true
"activatenorth" would be better! :p

Also, there's this in the introduction:
Sector - A Sector is a combination of a floor/ceiling texture along with a sound zone.
But then sector and zone are defined separately, and the planemap notably refer to them separately as well:

planemap

{

{<integer>,<integer>,<integer>},// {tile,sector,zone}

// ...

}
Nash

Post by Nash »

lol night of the homeless

Good to see this developing so well! Wolf3D was the first FPS I've ever played in my entire life and being able to mod it in a modern way like ZDoom is indeed a great hobby.

So how many years do we have to wait for WolfScript? ;P
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Gez wrote:Just noticed a typo in the UWMF docs:
Fixed. The sector/zone problem was because they were originally connected, but Adam convinced me to separate them.
Nash wrote:So how many years do we have to wait for WolfScript? ;P
I guess I better announcce it now so that the songs can come in sooner? :P A "WolfScript" won't even be planned until ZScript is done since I would of course want to base it off that langauge.
printz

Post by printz »

Won't this blur the line between Wolf3d and Doom?
Gez

Post by Gez »

How would that be a problem? Doom (and especially ZDoom) is easier to mod and extend. That makes it a Good Thing.

The game is still going to be based on square tiles with walls.
Average

Post by Average »

I have no idea if this is remotely possible but will there be a conversion tool for WolfSDL mods to run on ECWolf? :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Considering that most Wolf4SDL mods contain changes to the source code, conversion may not be as easy as you might imagine...
Gez

Post by Gez »

I've been surprised by how rare it is that Wolf mods include source code.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Average wrote:I have no idea if this is remotely possible but will there be a conversion tool for WolfSDL mods to run on ECWolf? :)
As it has been stated this would be practically impossible since source modifications can do just about anything. Someone would have to convert them by hand.

I personally see this as an advantage as I don't need to worry too much about compatibility at this time. Of course straight up vanilla mods should work, but those are quite limited.
Gez wrote:I've been surprised by how rare it is that Wolf mods include source code.
They're not aware that MAME requires the source to be released. Oh well, it's probably not worth really going after them since most of them probably just hack with copy and paste.
Gez

Post by Gez »

changelog wrote:On a side note I wonder why A_CustomMissile seems to be the only monster attack function in ZDoom that doesn't automatically call A_FaceTarget.
Well, it's not relevant to ECWolf, but there's also [wiki]A_BruisAttack[/wiki] and [wiki]A_MonsterRail[/wiki].
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Gez wrote:
changelog wrote:On a side note I wonder why A_CustomMissile seems to be the only monster attack function in ZDoom that doesn't automatically call A_FaceTarget.
Well, it's not relevant to ECWolf, but there's also [wiki]A_BruisAttack[/wiki] and [wiki]A_MonsterRail[/wiki].
In A_MonsterRail/A_CustomRailgun:

self->angle = R_PointToAngle2 (self->x,
									self->y,
									self->target->x,
									self->target->y);
Basically the same thing.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

wildweasel wrote:Considering that most Wolf4SDL mods contain changes to the source code, conversion may not be as easy as you might imagine...
For many mods, "not as easy" would be "completely impossible" because many mods do completely out of left field hacks that make no sense for anything but the mod itself. For instance, the tracers in Castle Totenkopf SDL hack the shit out of the directional sprites feature of Wolf4SDL to draw a 3D line pointing towards the impact point (not to mention hacking the Wolfenstein gun attack function in numerous other ways). It's a cool effect but do you really want to add multiple new features (new use of directional sprites, new variant of A_GunAttack, etc.) just for one TC that already runs fine on its own engine?

Another example, End of Destiny's Tournament mode. No other mod does this, and it would be horrifically complex to implement, with the savegame rationing and special items and unique status bar counter.

That said, porting older TCs or TCs with relatively few fancy features should be easy. I plan to start working on compatibility patches for Project Totengraeber and The Six Depths of Terrorism after 1.0 is released.

Return to “Game Engines”