The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWolf)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Springy

Re: The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWo

Post by Springy »

Excellent and congratulations for the first release. Will there be SVN builds or is this as far as it's going? Just curious. Been eagerly anticipating this.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Springy wrote:Will there be SVN builds
Depends on if someone's willing to compile them I guess.
Springy wrote:or is this as far as it's going?
You haven't read the release notes I see.
mallo

Post by mallo »

I love you.

But i have one question: How to register a sprite for DECORATE? I added graphics and wrote them in Decorate and my weapon is just invisible. :/ Well, i guess i have to look more in the ecwolf.pk3 file :D

And great work! With DECORATE, player classes, mapinfos and the whole port. :D
After i'll finish some weapons in ChexWolf I'll post screenshots of that. :D
If you only want it...
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Congrats for releasing ECWolf.Great port,i am highly enjoying it. :)
Got a question:its possible in the future to enable support for Unsung and Absence mods?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/unsung/downlo ... ung-v11-pc
http://www.moddb.com/mods/absence1
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Mods will have to be ported to ECWolf. It may not be possible to do that at the moment, but eventually the common features will be supported in some form.
mallo wrote:But i have one question: How to register a sprite for DECORATE? I added graphics and wrote them in Decorate and my weapon is just invisible. :/ Well, i guess i have to look more in the ecwolf.pk3 file :D
The same way you do for Doom? The tech demo may prove to be a more useful reference.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Great stuff! Any chance of modding documentation incoming?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I was talking to Woolie this afternoon, and he gave me a bunch of info on ECWolf modding. I've reformatted it and am putting it here so it can be useful to other people. Hope this helps other people:
...Basically you take a map in WDC and export it to a .map file. You then export this to a wad file that begins with a marker with the map name (like a Doom map) and then has the .map file added as a lump named PLANES. Then you load this wad or put it in the /maps/ directory of a pk3. You can make the map in ChaosEdit, Havoc's Editor, or FloEdit (Or even MapEdit 8.4 if you hate yourself and want to make things unnecessarily difficult) but you have to export it in WDC. At any rate it's a bit of a kludge because ECWolf is far, far ahead of the editors.

Adding custom symbols works exactly the same way as with a normal mod. For the actual textures you'll need to edit xlat, Blzut3 could fill you in on xlat specifications. Xlat converts binary Wolfenstein maps to the UWMF format that only ECWolf supports. Once WDC2 is made it will support UWMF natively, which will make things 10 times easier.

There are three planes. Plane 1 is map tiles (walls, doors, and floor tiles), Plane 2 is objects and actors, Plane 3 is floor and ceiling textures. Each plane has various tiles that are assigned an index number, like DoomEd numbers in vanilla Doom. Basically you go to Map Symbols in WDC and you can add and customize the tiles available using a very straightforward interface. The real work is mapping DECORATE actor numbers to the tile numbers and mapping textures to tiles using xlat... This sounds complicated, and is, but is extremely easy compared to trying to do this with the original engine (The tech demo has 276 custom textures, To get more than 64 textures in regular Wolfenstein you have to rewrite part of the engine!)

DECORATE works just like ZDoom but fewer features and options are available and the parser is stricter. I think the Kommandos in my tech demo are the first enemies to have a "boss" attack (works like the original chaingun bosses' attack) in a Wolfenstein mod that has 8 sides and can patrol like a standard guard - ECWolf does not make any distinction between regular enemies and "super guards" like Wolfenstein does.

ECWolf also fixes a whole slew of bugs in Wolfenstein's map handling, like in the original game you could not put a deaf guard in front of a door or the door would become an invisible force field. Here's a Wolfenstein mapping guide from '93 or '94 that teaches the basics of editing. Most still applies to ECWolf except for certain bugs

wl6map.txt has a listing of the lump names for all the wl6 file data. You'll need an editor like WDC or ChaosEdit to view the wl6 lumps and their index numbers. Check my tech demo's internals for examples of how to do various things...
mallo

Post by mallo »

The same way you do for Doom? The tech demo may prove to be a more useful reference.
Yeah, i thought of that AFTER i posted :)

EDIT: I found why it was invisible. I forgot to add S_START and S_END markers. :oops:

EDIT2: I love you now.
Attachments
I made this myself! :D
I made this myself! :D
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

Zaratul wrote:Congrats for releasing ECWolf.Great port,i am highly enjoying it. :)
Got a question:its possible in the future to enable support for Unsung and Absence mods?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/unsung/downlo ... ung-v11-pc
http://www.moddb.com/mods/absence1
Unsung has a lot of features that are currently not possible in ECWolf (full-screen HUD and reloading, to name two). I don't know how Instant Action works but that might never be portable to ECWolf. Blzut3 is more interested in creating flexible features and tools to create new mods rather than precisely recreating the features (which may be strongly engine-dependent or break other features) of older mods.

Generally, the fewer idiosyncrasies a mod has the easier an ECWolf port will be. With a few changes to the bunker levels to add ambient sound actors, a Project Totengraeber port would be simple. On the other hand, an End of Destiny port would be pretty much impossible.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Oh, while I remember! Can you please please please please add some form of automap? Wolf can be utterly painful without one.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

It will happen on some version <= 2.0. ;)
mallo

Post by mallo »

Just a question, is it possible to make random spawners? I mean, thing that spawns random thing from it's DropItem list.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Not yet.

Edit: At least not like that. You can technically make an actor that uses A_Jump to randomly select an A_SpawnItem call.
mallo

Post by mallo »

How to make report? The game crashes when i select New Game. There's nothing in the console about that. It started when i created a new weapon. I commented it out, but the game still crashes. + the game crashed when ghost (or angel of death, but i don't think so) saw me. (In SoD of course.)
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

The bug tracker is here. If your mod seems to be causing the crash please include it. Be sure to specify your operating system (and 32-bit/64-bit) as well.

Return to “Game Engines”