The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWolf)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Athel

Re: The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWo

Post by Athel »

Ahhh, there you are my pretties! Haha! Thanks, it was kind of bugging me.
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

Noah is on this year's GDQ. You'll have 15m of free advertisement.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Very cool. Kind of disappointed it's still only 7 levels of the game though (I believe this person did a speed run for an event I want to say about a month ago? It's on youtube), but I'll take it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I just got into Wolfenstein 3D again and I'm using ECWolf to play it. I got all my files and I had a couple questions. What files are needed at the minimum to play with no problems? I have some alongside the others that I'm 80% sure aren't needed. I deleted some as a test and it still ran so I guess they aren't needed.

Right now, my ECWolf folder has the following files:
AUDIOHED.SOD and WL6
AUDIOT.SOD and WL6
GAMEMAPS.SOD and WL6
MAPHEAD.SOD and WL6
VGADICT.SOD and WL6
VGAGRAPH.SOD and WL6
VGAHEAD.SOD and WL6
VSWAP.SOD and WL6

I believe this to be the minimum required but I'm not sure what ECWolf needs to run. GAMEMAPS, VSWAP, and MAPHEAD are the most obvious ones but the others I'm not sure. They may be DOS files that were needed by the DOS EXE but not by ECWolf?

Anyway, I have some other files too like:
CONFIG.SOD and WL6
SAVEGAM0.SOD and WL6 (and more, 1, 2, etc.)

I think the config and savegame files are also from the DOS days when the EXE used them to store options and save data. I was able to delete them and ECWolf still played them fine. Just curious.

My only other question is if there is a way to be able to play the mission packs also at the same time as SoD is beside the ECWolf EXE. I can temporarily delete the main SoD files and then move in the mission pack files and then the mission pack plays, but they can't co-exist since they have the same file name and extension. Maybe a search path can be added so ECWolf also finds those files? I noticed ECWolf recognizes the mission packs also as normal Spear of Destiny.

Other than those questions, I love ECWolf so far. Only thing I'd like to see is FOV adjustments. Right now it's kinda weird but since it's based on ZDoom I would hope it's possible.

Cheers.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nevander wrote:I just got into Wolfenstein 3D again and I'm using ECWolf to play it. I got all my files and I had a couple questions. What files are needed at the minimum to play with no problems? I have some alongside the others that I'm 80% sure aren't needed. I deleted some as a test and it still ran so I guess they aren't needed.

Right now, my ECWolf folder has the following files:
AUDIOHED.SOD and WL6
AUDIOT.SOD and WL6
GAMEMAPS.SOD and WL6
MAPHEAD.SOD and WL6
VGADICT.SOD and WL6
VGAGRAPH.SOD and WL6
VGAHEAD.SOD and WL6
VSWAP.SOD and WL6

I believe this to be the minimum required but I'm not sure what ECWolf needs to run. GAMEMAPS, VSWAP, and MAPHEAD are the most obvious ones but the others I'm not sure. They may be DOS files that were needed by the DOS EXE but not by ECWolf?
AUDIOHED + AUDIOT work together and they contain the speaker and adlib sound and music.
GAMEMAPS + MAPHEAD work together and they contain the maps.
VGADICT + VGAGRAPH + VGAHEAD work together and they contain some of the graphics (fonts and interface graphics).
VSWAP needs no other files and it contains digitized sounds and more graphics (walls and sprites).

They're all needed.

Some of the archives are split in two or three parts, because Wolf uses a complicated system where the raw data (AUDIOT, GAMEMAPS, VGAGRAPH) is separated from the directory (AUDIOHED, MAPHEAD, VGAHEAD) listing each lump and how to retrieve it, and since it also uses LZSS compression it also needs a dictionary to decompress the data, dictionary that can be separate from the header (VGADICT). But it's still better than Commander Keen, where the dictionary has to be retrieved from the executable.

Doom WADs and Quake PAKs are awesome when you compare to what id used to do before.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Ah it makes sense now. I'd no idea how to open these files (unless SLADE can, I didn't try) so I wasn't sure what was inside all of them. Thanks.

EDIT: I also found out how to have all the files there at once. Mission 2 should have the extension *.SD2 and Mission 3 should have the extension *.SD3. For some reason, all mine were still *.SOD.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yes, SLADE 3 can open them. Though it doesn't support all graphic formats found in VGAGRAPH, and you cannot really do much with GAMEMAPS. Also these archive formats are read-only.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Gez wrote:since it also uses LZSS compression
The dictionary is for huffman coding actually. LZSS is just a sliding window algorithm.
Nevander wrote:I also found out how to have all the files there at once. Mission 2 should have the extension *.SD2 and Mission 3 should have the extension *.SD3. For some reason, all mine were still *.SOD.
I've explained this in detail far too many times, but the short version is vanilla has 0 mod support so you load mods by replacing files. Steam ships with mission 3 as the active mission.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Episode 2: Floor 8 "AARDWOLF MAZE" Map + Sprite Replacer PK3

I felt like sharing this small PK3 which replaces the random and unrewarding bone pile that was patched in with the Activision release (also the version needed to play using ECWolf) with the original Easter egg contest sprite in the episode 2 floor 8 maze. No other changes are made to the game or otherwise. The AARDWOLF graphic was obtained from the Wolf3D TC by AFADoomer. I also made a map showing how to reach it, which took way longer than I care to admit. Lots of path checking.

Link to map:
http://i.imgur.com/aFfzrBZ.png

Graphic replacer PK3:
ECWolf_restore_aardwolf.pk3
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Original post:
Spoiler:
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Is there any way to make guns that have spread yet? I'd be cool if I could make a shotgun.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Yes and no. You can use fast projectiles to some extent. One thing to keep in mind is that simply adding spread to the Wolf3D attack functions probably wouldn't be a whole lot different than just calling the function multiple times. It works by finding the closest target within a cone so a narrow spread would still result in the same target being selected.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Are there plans to include A_SpawnDebris in the future? It would come in handy for a small mod I'm doing.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

not really since the implementation would be incomplete without a Z axis.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Ah, would there be a way to simulate a similar effect instead then?
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

You could use SpawnItemEx to give a random velocity. You'll have to use A_ScaleVelocity to simulate friction as well.

Return to “Game Engines”