Sound Randomly Slowing Down

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Sound Randomly Slowing Down

Postby SPZ1 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:59 am

I'm having an issue with my project where the sound randomly slows down during a cut-scene where the player is supposed to learn an ocarina song. It seems that the sound varies by around 50%-100% of it's normal speed and it is hard to pinpoint. I made an example map from scratch and it didn't happen there. So I made another with the actual level in which it was happening and it is still there.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap4KZFMds2L1hQWKTka2e3sz85rO?e=7pHKsr

To see this simply destroy the "Stump Demon" and press 'Use' over the song note sheet that is underneath it.

EDIT: I'm having an unknown issue with onedrive, try this instead: https://ufile.io/kucxojza
SPZ1

Re: Sound Randomly Slowing Down

Postby Enjay » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:17 pm

You have this in your SNDINFO: $pitchshiftrange 6

Try removing that or putting another entry of $pitchshiftrange 0 just before the sounds that you don't want to alter pitch.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby SPZ1 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:58 pm

It seems to work at a constant tempo although it is still a bit slow. It seems to be faster outside of GZDoom.

The pitch shift name seems to be a bit misleading since it is altering the pitch and the tempo
SPZ1

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:52 pm

SPZ1 wrote:The pitch shift name seems to be a bit misleading since it is altering the pitch and the tempo

Pitch shifts generally also alter tempo, since the most common way to do it is by playing the sound faster or slower. Unless it's something like MIDI, it requires significantly more work to change the pitch while keeping the tempo constant (getting into frequency analysis and such), and that kind of thing will generally be noted when it's the case.
Chris

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Return to Bugs