Poly Objects don't move slopes

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Re: Poly Objects don't move slopes

Postby Rachael » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 pm

Sir Robin wrote:So is this a bug that can be fixed in the zdoom code? Or can it be scripted around? Does zcsript have access to the polyobj vertices and normals? Maybe i could just write my own polyobj movement routines to get around this bug?

Unfortunately calling this a bug is a bit of a misnomer. The behavior is correct as coded, even if the end result is not what the user expects. The real issue here is a missing feature that would have allowed to keep the planar information in sync with the polyobject's movement.
Rachael
^ walking stack of unfinished projects ^
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Caligari87 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:31 am

Graf Zahl wrote:Polyobjects are just walls. Nothing implies they are infinitely tall.

My bad. I guess it'd be more accurate to say that they typically behave as though they're infinite because in normal use they fill floor-to-ceiling in whatever sector they occupy. But obviously as this thread indicates, there's exceptions.

For what it's worth I would adore canonical 3D polyobjects, even if they can't be sloped. The workarounds I've seen over the years to support equivalent functionality are kinda yikes.

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

Postby Sir Robin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:10 pm

Rachael wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:So is this a bug that can be fixed in the zdoom code? Or can it be scripted around? Does zcsript have access to the polyobj vertices and normals? Maybe i could just write my own polyobj movement routines to get around this bug?

Unfortunately calling this a bug is a bit of a misnomer. The behavior is correct as coded, even if the end result is not what the user expects. The real issue here is a missing feature that would have allowed to keep the planar information in sync with the polyobject's movement.

Yes, this is what I've been saying since the beginning. The slope normals are not getting updated while the polyobject is moved. And you're now saying this is an intended behavior. So the answers my first question. My second question was whether the slope normals are exposed to zscript - would it be possible for me to write my own polyobj movement script that would update those slope normals?
Sir Robin

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to Bugs