Plutonia 2 replaces all instances of "Doom" with "jp_dea"

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Plutonia 2 replaces all instances of "Doom" with "jp_dea"

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:26 am

This is the weirdest bug I've ever encountered.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load Plutonia 2
2. Go to Display Settings -> Hardware Options
3. Set the sector light mode to "Doom"
4. The option says "jp_dea" instead.

Also appears to happen when setting compatibility mode to "Doom", but not "Doom (strict)".

This seems to be caused by the wad's dehacked patch changing the d_doom track name to d_jp_dea, but it appears that it's matching pretty much any instance of the string "doom" by itself.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Plutonia 2 replaces all instances of "Doom" with "jp_dea

Postby Gez » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:47 am

Marisa Kirisame wrote:This seems to be caused by the wad's dehacked patch changing the d_doom track name to d_jp_dea, but it appears that it's matching pretty much any instance of the string "doom" by itself.

Technically, the patch changes doom with jp_dea, because the d_ prefix is not part of the music track strings, it's appended automatically. Cf. musicinfo_t S_music[] array in vanilla's sounds.c.
Gez

Postby nova++ » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:33 pm

I just want to express my appreciation for how amazingly strange this bug is. It brings a tear to the eye.
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Discord: PM me!
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:35 pm

There's nothing strange about this.
This mod uses the vanilla string replacement logic which tries to match "Doom" in all defined strings instead of a fixed label - and then replaces all of them because it has no idea which is the correct one.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Return to Bugs