Monsters are changed to random sprites

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Monsters are changed to random sprites

Postby Black Devil » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:00 am

Greetings

Has anyone seen a bug like this before, and know what could cause it?
I added some Heretic and Realm667 monsters to my mod and some of them show up as a row of random sprites.

Everytime I turn GZDoom off (latest version) and boot it up again, then it shows a different set of sprites.

For example the first time the enemy was changed to the Imp's death sprites and on death he was the imp fire ball, other times he could be d'sparil's corpse, or a hell knight corpse or the shotgun. It is different everytime I reload.

There is nothing else being loaded with GZDoom, there is nothing in the skins folder. There is no modeldefs and nothing in their Decorate is assigned to these sprites. The sprite names are SDM9 for the monster, and the sprites it is displaying is TROO or SORC (for example) and they aren't even mentioned anywhere in the Decorate file. It really doesn't make sense as there is no mention of the sprites that are appearing. All of there existing Doom and Heretic enemies are already defined in GZDoom.pk3, so I didn't even mention their sprites to recreate them in Decorate. I deleted the Heretic sprites to see if that was causing it, and then the enemy turned into the corpse of the helper dog from the GZDoom.pk3 file and the pink speaker icon, also from that pk3. It was like selecting any random sprites it could find. The SDM9 sprites are present in the sprites folder in the mod PK3, so they aren't missing and they are all aligned correctly and in PNG format.

Video of the bug in action:
https://streamable.com/cw6lhu

The Decorate for the random sprite monster:
Code: Select allExpand view

ACTOR RMSkeletonGunner
{
  HITOBITUARY "%o felt the sting of the undead gunner"
  OBITUARY "%o taken by an undead gunner."
  HEALTH 150
  RADIUS 22
tag "Undead Gunner"
  HEIGHT 56
  MASS 100
  SPEED 18
  +MISSILEEVENMORE
  PAINCHANCE 70
 SeeSound "skeleton/sight"
  PainSound "skeleton/pain"
  DeathSound "skeleton/death"
  ActiveSound "skeleton/active"
  MeleeSound "skeleton/melee"
  MONSTER
  +FLOORCLIP
  +DONTHURTSPECIES
  STATES
  {
  SPAWN:
    SDM9 AB 10 A_LOOK
    LOOP
  SEE:
    SDM9 AABBCCDD 2 A_CHASE
    LOOP
  MISSILE:
    SDM9 E 4 A_FACETARGET
    SDM9 F 4 BRIGHT A_SPOSATTACK
    SDM9 E 8
    GOTO SEE
MELEE:
    SDM9 O 0 A_FaceTarget
    SDM9 O 6 A_SkelWhoosh
    SDM9 P 6 A_FaceTarget
    SDM9 Q 6 A_SkelFist
    Goto See
  PAIN:
    SDM9 G 2
    SDM9 G 2 A_PAIN
    GOTO SEE
  DEATH:
    SDM9 H 5
    SDM9 I 5 A_SCREAM
    SDM9 J 5 A_NOBLOCKING
    SDM9 KLM 5
    SDM9 N -1
    STOP
  RAISE:
    SDM9 MLKJIH 3
    GOTO SEE
  }
}

Thank you
Black Devil

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Monsters are changed to random sprites

Postby Black Devil » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:20 am

The plot thickens!

If I play my mod with a level pack that has custom actors, then all of the actors sprites are changed to random Doom sprites such as the shotgun or hanging corpses, despite their decorate not being assigned to those sprites. Then when I turn GZDoom off and boot it up again, the sprites change to something else. For example there is a level pack that has steam sprite coming out of a pipe and it will be changed to the Doom guy's shotgun sprites, upon refreshing GZDoom it will change the steam into Hell Knight corpses, then again into an Imp's fireball or a crouching marine from ZDoom.pk3.

I have never seen any bug like this before, it will change whatever actors are below it in the load order into randomized sprites, and those sprites will change upon reloading the game. It literally doesn't make sense.

Running on latest version of GZD
Black Devil

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Return to Bugs