Mouse polling issues with view roll

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Re: Mouse polling issues with view roll

Postby 0mnicydle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:39 pm

It looks like the commit that actually broke compatibility with this branch was not the initial rework, but rather this:

https://github.com/Realm667/WolfenDoom/ ... b3451f3ce8
Last edited by 0mnicydle on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0mnicydle

Postby mjr4077au » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:54 pm

I'll probably only be able to check out BoA next week at this stage. I'm away this weekend immediately after close of business today.

I've really only tested this with the two test files Nash provided in the first post, so it's not surprising that there's potentially issues with pitch and yaw in real-world examples like BoA. Hopefully nothing too serious though.

I do assume that the current dev branch of BoA works 100% as expected on the latest release of GZDoom, albeit interpolated?
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby 0mnicydle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:25 pm

mjr4077au wrote:I do assume that the current dev branch of BoA works 100% as expected on the latest release of GZDoom, albeit interpolated?

Yes. It also works as expected in this branch with cl_nointerpactorangles set to false.

I can also get it working again in your branch by setting boa_tilteffects to false (not the default). This is not required in mainline gzdoom, or in this branch with cl_nointerpactorangles set to false. It is only with cl_nointerpactorangles set to true that having boa_tilteffects set to true causes the failure.

EDIT/ Also I don't know if you're familiar with the sequence I'm talking about in BoA, but if you go to c3m5_c and kill monsters, give all, noclip, turn to the wall on your left and travel to the engine room towards the marked objective point and interact with it (hold interact for some time, it's a slow burn), and once the timer begins the effect should kick in around the 2:50 mark on the countdown. Don't forget to disable noclip before the effect kicks in otherwise it could interfere since it moves you around too.
Last edited by 0mnicydle on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0mnicydle

Postby mjr4077au » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Thanks for the insight, I haven't played the TC right through so I wasn't aware precisely. I'm sure we can get this right, these are just typical problems with a new solution.

This is the code that does the tilting:

Code: Select allExpand view
      // Allow all other effects to be disabled via CVar
      if (!boa_tilteffects) { return; }

double curRoll = 0;

// If on the ground or on an object
      if ((owner.Pos.Z == owner.FloorZ || owner.bOnMObj) && owner.Health > 0)
      {
         if (boa_strafetilt) { curRoll += CalcStrafeTilt(); } // Do strafe tilt, if enabled
         curRoll += CalcMovementTilt(); // Do movement tilt
      }

curRoll += CalcDeathTilt(); // Always check if we need to do death tilt

if (abs(curRoll) > 0.000001) { curRoll *= 0.75; } // Stabilize tilt

// Apply the sum of all rolling routines (including after stabilization)
      owner.A_SetViewRoll(owner.viewroll + (curRoll - lastRoll), SPF_INTERPOLATE);
      lastLevelTilt = curLevelTilt;
      lastRoll = curRoll;

If `boa_tilteffects` is enabled but `boa_strafetilt` is disabled, what's the effect like?
mjr4077au

Postby 0mnicydle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 pm

mjr4077au wrote:If `boa_tilteffects` is enabled but `boa_strafetilt` is disabled, what's the effect like?

Same result as boa_tilteffects true and boa_strafetilt true; view rolls aren't applied during the c3m5_c level tilt sequence.

EDIT/ I just remembered you can actually trigger this sequence on any BoA level with "pukename settilt 15" --should make testing easier.
0mnicydle

Postby mjr4077au » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:00 am

Nash has reached out the BoA team who have fixed an issue with their TC, there was no issue with the code in my branch.

This has now been presented for review. https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/1414
mjr4077au

Postby Nash » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:44 am

Thank you for your efforts! Great to see this finally being addressed. :)
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Previous

Return to Bugs