Status Bar is One Pixel Short at 1440p

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Status Bar is One Pixel Short at 1440p

Postby The DOOMED Marine » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:37 pm

I only noticed this minor visual bug when jumping from a 1080p monitor to 1440p with the following parameters:
    - Scale factor: 1.0
    - Status bar scale: 6 (or scale to fullscreen), 8
    - HUD preserves aspect ratio: true

The pixel row in-between the game view and status bar is part of the green border, and is most apparent against Doomguy's hand or other high contrast images.

I've observed it in GZDoom 4.5.0, g4.6pre-50-gd8164e005 (default config besides the parameter changes and texture filtering off), and even the earliest copy of GZDoom I had left (g2.3pre-196-gc3ced58). It seemed to only occur on all ZDoom based source ports I have, it didn't for example occur in PRBoom+.

It's probably the definition of nitpicky but it has driven me insane since I switched monitors.

GZDoom 4.5.0 (fullscreen/zoom in to see the gap)

PRBoom+ (no pixel gap)
The DOOMED Marine
Just screwing around..

Re: Status Bar is One Pixel Short at 1440p

Postby Player701 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:18 am

I can reproduce this issue. "HUD preserves aspect ratio" must be enabled for the glitch to manifest, and it only happens with scales 8, 6, 3 and 1, as well as "Scale to fullscreen". Probably a rounding error of sorts.
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Status Bar is One Pixel Short at 1440p

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:11 am

It's a roundoff error with the scaling math. In this particular case the scaling for the botton just is a tad inaccurate and lands on the wrong coordinate. There's a few cases where this can happen, but trying to fudge it will break other sizes then.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Return to Bugs