[Fixed] [4.5.0] [Linux] Widescreen not found outside basedir

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[4.5.0] [Linux] Widescreen not found outside basedir

Postby MartinHowe » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:28 pm

The widescreen file game_widescreen_gfx.pk3 is not found outside the directory in which gzdoom executable file is located.

This happens on Linux Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04) with a newly installed, from the Downloads page, of GZDoom for Ubuntu. It also happens when I build GZDoom locally on this system and use that instead, both for master and stable builds.

Steps to reproduce (from bash prompt):

Issue the command gzdoom -iwad doom at the bash prompt from outside the executable file's directory but with gzdoom in the path.
GZDoom will fail to find the widescreen assets .pk3.

Issue the command /path/to/gzdoom/executable/file/directory/gzdoom -iwad doom at the bash prompt from outside the executable file's directory.
GZDoom will fail to find the widescreen assets .pk3.

Issue the command gzdoom -iwad doom at the bash prompt from inside the executable file's directory.
GZDoom will find and use the widescreen assets .pk3.

This does not affect other files normally located in basedir, such as gzdoom.pk3, only the widescreen assets file.
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Re: [4.5.0] [Linux] Widescreen not found outside basedir

Postby MartinHowe » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Well this is interesting...

Code: Select allExpand view
d_main.cpp:         const char *lightswad = BaseFileSearch ("lights.pk3", NULL, false, GameConfig);
d_main.cpp:         const char *bmwad = BaseFileSearch ("brightmaps.pk3", NULL, false, GameConfig);
d_main.cpp:         const char *wswad = BaseFileSearch ("game_widescreen_gfx.pk3", NULL, false, GameConfig);

Since I haven't played anything that needs dynamic lights or whatever, I hadn't noticed this; so it seems that ALL the feature WADs would have this problem unless I hack the config file to put (PROGDIR?) in the search path.

Devs, why aren't these files not looked for alongside the .exe first? I mean, where else would they logically belong? It's not as if they are intended to be modified :shrug:

For that matter, if this is by design, please can you tell me which of the sections in the config file should they be cited in? They're not IWADS, but should surely have the same status as gzdoom.pk3?
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Re: [4.5.0] [Linux] Widescreen not found outside basedir

Postby Rachael » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:04 am

MartinHowe wrote:Devs, why aren't these files not looked for alongside the .exe first? I mean, where else would they logically belong? It's not as if they are intended to be modified :shrug:

For that matter, if this is by design, please can you tell me which of the sections in the config file should they be cited in? They're not IWADS, but should surely have the same status as gzdoom.pk3?

I do not know, I did not design the thing. Don't ask me to read the minds of folks who made these decisions.

It certainly couldn't hurt to do what you are suggesting though, so, I did it. https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... 68b37d7f59
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Closed Bugs