[Addressed] [GZDoom] Retro HUD got stretched if over 16:9 ratio

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: [GZDoom] Retro HUD got stretched if over 16:9 ratio

Postby Yarn366 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 am

I just now found that the "the end" text at the end of Doom's bunny scroller has a similar (and probably the same) problem: it looks right at 16:9 and narrower, but at any wider aspect ratio it gets stretched. And as with the status bar, the wider the aspect ratio is, the more the text gets stretched--and at insanely wide ratios, the text gets wider than the (vanilla) background image! This happens regardless of the aspect ratio of the background image; only the screen aspect ratio matters.

The difference here is that there is no option (that I'm aware of) to adjust the scaling of that text.
Yarn366
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2018

Re: [GZDoom] Retro HUD got stretched if over 16:9 ratio

Postby Trimint123 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:53 am

Yarn366 wrote:I just now found that the "the end" text at the end of Doom's bunny scroller has a similar (and probably the same) problem: it looks right at 16:9 and narrower, but at any wider aspect ratio it gets stretched.


Did you tried it with the Widescreen graphics included in the latest GZDoom?
Trimint123
 
Joined: 05 Mar 2019
Discord: Trimint123#1987
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [GZDoom] Retro HUD got stretched if over 16:9 ratio

Postby drfrag » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:02 am

Yarn366 wrote:Does it still look stretched if you enable HUD Options -> Scaling Options -> HUD preserves aspect ratio?

Now it looks correct but i can't test higher aspect ratios anyway.
User avatar
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Location: Spain
Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Re: [GZDoom] Retro HUD got stretched if over 16:9 ratio

Postby Yarn366 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Trimint123 wrote:
Yarn366 wrote:I just now found that the "the end" text at the end of Doom's bunny scroller has a similar (and probably the same) problem: it looks right at 16:9 and narrower, but at any wider aspect ratio it gets stretched.


Did you tried it with the Widescreen graphics included in the latest GZDoom?

Yes I did, and the behavior is exactly the same.


drfrag wrote:
Yarn366 wrote:Does it still look stretched if you enable HUD Options -> Scaling Options -> HUD preserves aspect ratio?

Now it looks correct but i can't test higher aspect ratios anyway.

In Options -> Set video mode, set "Resolution scale" to Normal (to avoid stretching), then set "Force aspect ratio" to 21:9; this should give you a proper 21:9 viewing area (and is sufficient for reproducing this bug). To test custom aspect ratios, first set "Force aspect ratio" to Off (to avoid stretching this time, since "Resolution scale" will change to Custom), then change the "Custom Width" and "Custom Height" values to whatever you want, then select one of the "Apply Changes" options.
Yarn366
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2018

Re: [GZDoom] Retro HUD got stretched if over 16:9 ratio

Postby Yarn366 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:06 am

This should be fixed now in the latest development build (https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/). Trimint123, can you confirm that this is the case for you?
Yarn366
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2018

Re: [GZDoom] Retro HUD got stretched if over 16:9 ratio

Postby Rachael » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:24 am

Ah, I forgot this topic even existed.

Graphics that are made only for 16:9 monitors will have trouble with the new change, but overall I think it's a better idea than arbitrarily stretching the status bar at 21:9 resolutions. I don't consider it a "fix" though, mostly because the stretching originally was intentional. (For what reason? I don't know) So to me it's a new feature.

Either way, there's absolutely no reason why graphics should be locked at that aspect ratio anymore. GZDoom can be run at pretty much any aspect ratio - even nonsense ones like 100:1 or 1:100. I think it's up to the user to decide "yeah this looks like shit" than the source port placing arbitrary limits on how the graphics can be designed.
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Previous

Return to Closed Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest