PNAMES+TEXTURE1 can affect linedef special behavior?

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Re: PNAMES+TEXTURE1 can affect linedef special behavior?

Postby Rachael » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Does it work properly in base GZDoom+Plutonia? If the behavior is undefined, it might be required to do a compatibility specifically for that map, and if the issue really is specific to Wadsmoosh, it should be pretty easy to put in a LevelPostProcessor to fix it - whether done on Wadsmoosh's side or GZDoom's doesn't matter since GZDoom can use the filter system.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby JPL » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Rachael wrote:Does it work properly in base GZDoom+Plutonia? If the behavior is undefined, it might be required to do a compatibility specifically for that map, and if the issue really is specific to Wadsmoosh, it should be pretty easy to put in a LevelPostProcessor to fix it - whether done on Wadsmoosh's side or GZDoom's doesn't matter since GZDoom can use the filter system.

Yes, it does work properly when Plutonia is used as the IWAD. Worth noting that when Plutonia is loaded as a PWAD atop doom2.wad, the platform raises up an additional 64 units - not enough to crush or strand the player in this case, but could cause problems in others.
JPL

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:13 am

That's all to be expected. The reason is that the compatibility flag is only being set for IWAD maps automatically, and loading Plutonia as a PWAD nullifies that assumption.
In general, the side effect of this linedef hasn't been abused in critical form in Doom or Doom 2 but surely in the non-id-made Final Doom IWADs.
Your only real choice here is to set compat_shorttex in your MAPINFO definitions for all maps to ensure it is properly set up, because WadSmoosh by its very nature does its best to get around the internal IWAD defaults.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby wrkq » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 am

As a bit of a side note I recall seeing people on doomworld experimenting to use this platform move action with untextured lines as a way to have a different map behavior depending on which IWAD it was loaded with via the height difference between D1 AASTINKY and D2 AASHITTY...
wrkq

Postby JPL » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:47 am

I tried adding compat_shorttex to my MAPINFO, like so:
Code: Select allExpand view
map PL_MAP30 lookup "PHUSTR_30"
{
   sky1 = "PSKY3"
   cluster = 21
   titlepatch = "PWILV29"
   par = 180
   allowmonstertelefrags
   compat_shorttex
   music = "P_OPENIN"
   next = endgame {
      pic = "PLUBOSS"
      music = "P_THE_DA"
      cast
   }
}

This, with no other changes, did not change anything. What am I doing wrong?
JPL

Postby Gez » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Yeah, setting up compat_shorttex explicitly through the option menu didn't change behavior, so adding it in MAPINFO wouldn't be sufficient either.

At this point the simplest may be for WadSmoosh's level post-processing logic to change the special on the incriminated line of that level so its effect becomes 23:Floor_RaiseByBalue(1, 8, 64).
Gez

Postby JPL » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Extracting PNAMES and TEXTURE1 from doom2.wad and including that in doom_complete.pk3, as I did before 1.25, fixes all the issues with this I've seen, including MAP07 breaking, so I'm just going to do that.
JPL

Previous

Return to Bugs