GZD 4.4.2 and devbuild crash on Paradise MAP04 and MAP05

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

GZD 4.4.2 and devbuild crash on Paradise MAP04 and MAP05

Postby PhysixCat » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:58 pm

I've been having crashes on MAP04 and 05 from the GZDoom mapset "Paradise" (found here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... 3-4122020/). I have not seen these sorts of problems reported before, so I have to assume that there's something wrong with my own setup that is causing these issues. They are also not 100% consistently reproducible crashes - there are "problem areas" in these maps where they are more likely to happen, but they are not guaranteed to happen. Extremely frustrating when doing no-save run attempts.

I have tried these maps with GZDoom v4.4.2 and v4.3.3. They both exhibited crashes of the generic
Code: Select allExpand view
*** Fatal Error ***
Address not mapped to object (signal 11)
Address: 0x50

variety, which don't really give any useful information unless I get a debug build and backtrace it.

However, I then tried it with the latest master of the GZDoom dev git, (g4.5pre-131-g91a4e6aed) and I got a slightly more specific error on crash:
Code: Select allExpand view
gzdoom: gzdoom_build/gzdoom/src/common/objects/dobject.h:253: PClass* DObject::GetClass() const: Assertion `Class != nullptr' failed.
Aborted

I could go ahead and compile in debug mode and get the backtrace of the crash for you if needed. Just let me know. Wanted to get the initial report out of the way.

As usual, system info:
- GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760
- CPU: i5 4440
- nvidia-driver: 440.100-2
- gzdoom: g4.5pre-131-g91a4e6aed
- renderer: Vulkan (it also happens on OpenGL)
- compatibility flags: Boom (strict) preset
PhysixCat

Re: GZD 4.4.2 and devbuild crash on Paradise MAP04 and MAP05

Postby _mental_ » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:53 am

PhysixCat wrote:I could go ahead and compile in debug mode and get the backtrace of the crash for you if needed.

Yes, we need a backtrace, preferably with '+vm_jit 0' added to command line.
_mental_

Return to Bugs