Sprites scaled in TEXTURES don't get HQ resized.

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Sprites scaled in TEXTURES don't get HQ resized.

Postby Accensus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:23 am

Tested on GZDoom g4.5pre-58-gece526a99 x64.

Because of privacy reasons, I am unable to post the example here, but I'll PM the file to all developers shortly after this post.

The example itself is a mugshot whose frames are assembled in TEXTURES from a spritesheet in the Patches folder. Because it is in double resolution, I had to scale it down in TEXTURES, but at that point HQ resizing ceased to work on it. The settings I use are "Trilinear" for texture filtering and "NormalNx" HQ resize mode at 6x scaling, though it doesn't really matter which mode is used.

Let me know if I've left out anything important.

EDIT: I messed up and used Sprite instead of Graphic for the TEXTURES entries. I've fixed it on my end, but that still doesn't make a difference. Title is incorrect, but bug report is still valid.
Accensus
Vector, locked in.

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Sprites scaled in TEXTURES don't get HQ resized.

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:53 am

This is by design. Graphics that are already scaled won't be upscaled again.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Sprites scaled in TEXTURES don't get HQ resized.

Postby Accensus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:57 am

Although it makes sense, this still affects sprites which looks rather strange in mods like Hideous Destructor that use TEXTURES for most of the pickups. The ZM66 magazines for example all look blurry compared to the rest of the pickups.
Accensus
Vector, locked in.

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Bugs