(4.4.1+4.4.2) Beautiful Doom random CTD

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
RafaHell
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

(4.4.1+4.4.2) Beautiful Doom random CTD

Post by RafaHell »

Hi. New here, don't quite know how to do this properly, but I'll upload the auto-generated crash report, and add:

- Getting random CTDs on Beautiful Doom (ver. 200612) and on GZDOOM 4.4.1 and the current 4.4.2.
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(79.8 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: (4.4.1+4.4.2) Beautiful Doom random CTD

Post by Rachael »

According to the log that was inside the crash report you submitted, you have a lot of wad files besides Beautiful Doom loaded.

Unfortunately, we're going to need more information to track this one down - and it's not going to be easy.

I have a special build that has debugging information that would be more helpful for tracking this bug down, if you could get a crash report on this one, I will be able to load it directly into my debugger and look at what is going on. Please, if you are willing, use the exact same set of mods that you used when generating the previous crash report that you already provided.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18iwFne ... sp=sharing
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

Ok, will do!

*edit*
Couldn't download... link requires access. Have sent access request through gdrive.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It should work now.

Post by Guest »

Hi there.
Ok, haven't dled that file yet, but I do have news:

I'm 99% sure it's a conflict between this latest build of Beautiful Doom and CatsVisor Hud (ver 1.9.5).
I've tried it with CatsVisor Hud 1.10 and it still crashes.

I also tried running CastVisor Hud alone (on DOOM II) and had no CTD.

Furthermore, I strongly believe it has something to do with chainguns, be it the player's or the chaingunner's chaingun shots.

I know this is probably not related to GZDOOM 4.4.1/.2 per se, but just in case it might...

(couldn't attach crashreport on this reply...)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Lilybeth Cangerkedge wrote:(couldn't attach crashreport on this reply...)
You might need to log in first.
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

(yep *facepalm*... thought I'd automatically logged in... sorry...)

Ok, I've done some tests with your debug build of GZDOOM, loading only Beautiful Doom (v200612) and CatsVisorHud (v1.10).

I'm 98% sure I've isolated the problem to some mysterious issue with those two mods, and maybe this latest GZDOOM build?

Note: I've tried loading Beautiful Doom and CatsVisorHud independently, and had no CTDs.
Note 2: I suspect the conflict is related in some way to chainguns, whether it be the chaingunner firing or the player firing a chaingun. It might be coincidence, but iirc every CTD happened when there were chaingunners around...
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
crashreport where I loaded BD (v200612) and CatsVisorHud (1.10) on DOOM II, using your provided GZDOOM debug build
(53.24 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Are you using the software renderer? I can't debug this dump, and I suspect it's running in a drawer thread on crash.

If you're in the software renderer, please use the console and type "r_multithreaded 0" and then try to crash it again.

If you need to, you can set "vid_scalefactor 0.5" to speed up the drawing a bit with the loss of multithreaded drawing, if it helps.

For this test - the same debug build as before.

(Remember to set "r_multithreaded 1" when you're done, to enable multi-threaded SW rendering again)
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

Hi there.
I'm actually using OpenGL, hardware mode.
If it helps, I'll upload my gzdoom.ini file, just in case.

BTW, yesterday I got a few CTDs not related to the combination between the two aforementioned mods, but only with Beautiful Doom 200612... (I can consistently reproduce the crash when using the two though)
So, it might not necessarily be a GZDOOM thing, but a Beautiful Doom memory leak/unoptimized thing...
Attachments
gzdoom-RafaGel.ini
(103.72 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

Hello again.
Need to report more CTDs with Beautiful Doom.
I'll say that I'm in the Beautiful Doom discord and the problem seems to happen only to me (so far).

Anyway, I'll upload the latest crash report file, and I'll add the BD discord bug info format, if it helps any:

<GZDoom = devbuild g4.5 pre-58-gece526a99 64-bit
<Map pack name = Valiant map 07
<Mods = Beautiful Doom master branch (latest commit)
<Error = Very Fatal Error (CTD)
<I take the first teleporter (in beginning area with archviles in cages), and suspiciously as soon as chaingunners teleport in, CTD happens.
This is consistent. Happens every single time.
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
Very Fatal Error
(51.68 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”