[4.4.0+] Model textures aren't affected by resizing

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

[4.4.0+] Model textures aren't affected by resizing

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:13 am

It appears that when texture resizing is enabled, it works for sprites, world textures, fonts, etc. according to their respective toggles, but models now never get affected.

If this gets fixed, I would prefer if it could also be toggleable like the rest, because this actually might be nice when combined with NormalNx scaling so I can sort of mix blocky world textures and sprites with trilinear model skins.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [4.4.0+] Model textures aren't affected by resizing

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:16 am

The question is: should they? With models it is impossible to tell if the texture's resolution is high enough or not and an upscale makes sense.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Nash » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:25 am

Ahh looks like I ran into this too (using NormalNx at x4). There's a visual mismatch there between the texture on the tree model VS everything else in the world.

As for the question - I think they should, if only for unified behaviour. Whether it makes sense for the model or not is not the engine's responsiblity but the user.

But if options would be offered - I won't complain. As for where and how (on the MODELEDEF? Per texture in TEXTURES?), I have no preferences. Anywhere is fine.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Apeirogon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:04 am

Graf Zahl wrote:should they?

No they dont.
In most, if not all, games models have several different textures with different detail level. Usually they used depending from the distance to the player camera, the closest model to the player the more detailed texture it uses, and vice versa. Sometimes they even used with low poly models for low quality textures. Optimization :trippy:
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:21 am

I've even designed weapon models with textures MEANT to be pixelated, and NormalNx helps them look less jaggy without having to inflate the mod size by manually upscaling each texture, so there's that too.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Bugs