Widescreen console stretched

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Scuba Steve

Widescreen console stretched

Post by Scuba Steve »

https://github.com/nashmuhandes/WidePix ... master.zip

When bringing down the console while using widescreen images, GZDoom squeezes the fullscreen image to fit the current resolution instead of cropping at the edges.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Widescreen console stretched

Post by Graf Zahl »

It has always done that for the console background. Just look what it does to the titlepic.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I see... so it's just making it ugly in a different way.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I've been thinking about this for some time now. The entire console background handling is just awful with the fallback on the titlepic which often is a poor choice for the console background, even disregarding the stretching issue. So what can we do here to make this work better? A quick look over user mods that use a CONBACK replacements show they all have 4:3 images that stretch quite well.

Titlepics don't, though, so I think this option should be retired. Is anyone willing to make a set of CONPICs in 4:3, 16:9 and 21:9 that can be used as defaults here? These should use some fairly neutral colors and some sort of engine identifying mark, somewhat similar to how Quake did it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'll work on something. :)
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

If you had something in mind, I'd gladly throw something together...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was thinking of those blue computer tiles, except a) not actually those, b) look like those, but more gray or a neutral color, possibly blue-gray, and c) not actually tiled, but generated to cover an entire 320x200 area.

I had experimented with something in Photoshop to try and make that but I was not so far successful, at least inasmuch I would have been happy with the result.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Interesting, I was thinking of something similar.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Whatever ends up being done, my suggestion here is that the text over the console MUST be clearly readable. Please avoid noisy designs.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Whatever gets done here needs some graphics work. My suggestion would be to provide default CONBACK images for all supported games and just dim the screen if none is found but remove the fallback to the title pic.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Rachael wrote:I was thinking of those blue computer tiles, except a) not actually those, b) look like those, but more gray or a neutral color, possibly blue-gray, and c) not actually tiled, but generated to cover an entire 320x200 area.
Extending that to the other games, a similar "not too noisy but game-characteristic" graphic for each game could be identified and used as an inspiration for each background. How many would be needed? Doom (all variants), Heretic, Hexen, Strife? Beyond that, I think they might be "nice to have" grapics, but less essential.

Perhaps, instead of Graf's idea of dimming the screen, an utterly generic graphic could be made as a non-specific fallback.

[edit]By "Doom (all variants)" I meant that, as a minimum, we'd only need one graphic for all Doom games - one for each would be nice, but not essential.[/edit]
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Doom 1, Doom 2, Plutonia, TNT, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest should be there. Hacx and Harmony would be nice - the rest is less important.
I think a single Doom graphic would be a bit lame. My idea would be something like Quake: The game's logo embossed into a mostly neutral background that could have different structure fitting the games - preferably at a somewhat higher resolution than 320x200 and of course fully widescreen compatible.

And it should be clear that these images go into the game_support.pk3 file so that they can use the games' original assets as a base.
Agreed about the generic fallback - it'd be better than dimming the screen with a solid color. This would go into gzdoom.pk3 then.

Now all we need is someone willing to create these things. ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:My idea would be something like Quake: The game's logo embossed into a mostly neutral background that could have different structure fitting the games
For reference:

Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I was bored and started playing around with some ideas. Most likely nothing final and they'll need a lot more work to fit properly, but thought I would post before I go any farther.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Those are actually pretty cool, I think those have a high chance of inclusion when they are completed. :)

What are you planning on licensing as? Seeing as how they seem to include some derivative assets, they will have to be distributed with the game support archive.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”