4.3.3 Sprites disappearing in really old maps

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

4.3.3 Sprites disappearing in really old maps

Postby Enjay » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 am

I suspect that this will not be addressed because it seems to be a problem with really old nodes (I'm guessing bugs in old node builders) but it didn't happen in old ZDoom, though it seems to have bee around for some time in GZDoom. Anyway, it's always worth reporting something just in case.

I've been on an old map binge recently and several maps from idgames that I have played have shown a problem where sprites simply disappear in certain areas of maps. The issue is easily reproducible and I think it happens in all GZDoom renderers - but it does not happen in the last version of ZDoom. It goes back quite a long way in GZDoom though. I have an old copy of g3.3pre39 installed and it seems to happen there.

I did take one of the maps, opened it in GZDB and re-saved it. This cured the problem for that map. Forcing GZDoom to build nodes fixes it too. So it does seem to be an old nodes problem.

Attached is a map from my own really old 94/95-ish NJDoom. It runs on E3M5.

Load up Doom with the map on HMP difficulty and type the following at the console.

map e3m5
warp 420 3128
god

Turn 90 degrees to the left and watch the Baron as he approaches you. If he shoots, his plasma will become invisible before it reaches you and when he walks towards you, he too will become invisible. The actors are still there though and will damage you if not in good mode. If dynamic lights are active, the light does not vanish, only the sprite.

Dynamic light from invisible plasma thrown at me by an invisible Baron:
Attachments
test35.zip
Replaces map E3M5 of Doom.
(59.59 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: 4.3.3 Sprites disappearing in really old maps

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:49 am

In that case, please post the MD5 hashes of the map - this will be solved by compatibility settings - un-fixing the logic to work with broken nodes is not an option.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Enjay » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:57 am

I didn't make a note of which maps caused the problem because I went through a mental process of "this map must be broken, hey another broken map, hang on - this is becoming too common" before I realised it might be something on the GZDoom side.

However, I'll report any maps that I come across in future, though I'm off my binge due to IRL commitments.

With any luck, this thread will also prompt anyone who comes across the same issue in any maps they play.

Do you know what it is about the nodes in these older maps that causes the problem?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 am

No idea. I know that the old bsp.exe node builder has some issues and occasionally creates broken nodes - these may let an actor end up in the wrong sector if hitting such a node which also may result in it not being rendered.
I'll have a look at that attached map later. Maybe then I can say more.
Graf Zahl

Postby Player701 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 am

I encountered quite a few maps with broken subsectors in the past - they may result in even worse stuff than invisible sprites, for example, monsters getting stuck "below the floor" permanently. It all can be fixed with the "rebuildnodes" compatibility option, provided that the hashes of the broken maps are known.
Player701
Global Moderator

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Bugs