Unable to adjust xinput sticks with an alias

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
betono
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Unable to adjust xinput sticks with an alias

Post by betono »

Just verified this with the current build on drdteam:
gzdoom-x64-g4.3pre-621-g8b3c03d41

I am trying to come up with a good controller configuration for playing Doom while not at a computer and I am not fond of the defaults on any port of Doom. So here's the bottom of the Doom bindings of my ini:
DPadUp=toggle vid_fps
DPadDown=screenshot
DPadLeft=quicksave
DPadRight=quickload
Pad_Start=togglemap
Pad_Back=menu_main
RThumb=turn180
LShoulder=+use
RShoulder=+altattack
LTrigger=+sticklook1
RTrigger=+attack
Pad_A=slot 6
Pad_B=slot 4
Pad_X=slot 3
Pad_Y=slot 5

[Doom.DoubleBindings]
LShoulder=+reload
Pad_A=slot 7
Pad_B=slot 2
Pad_Y=slot 1
I can't stand cycling weapons and I hate weapon wheels but it's very easy to turn the 4 face buttons into direct weapon select buttons so that's fine. The plan is to keep the sensitivity on the stick quite high and use an alias to turn LT into a precision toggle, similar in concept to ironsight controls except I have no intention on using zooms. This also covers the functions for Final Doomer +. Here's my aliases:
Name=+sticklook1
Command=set Axis2scale 0.75; set Axis3scale 0.75; set autoaim 0
Name=-sticklook1
Command=set Axis2scale 1.5; set Axis3scale 0; set autoaim 35; centerview
I use precise crosshair so I don't need to toggle the crosshair with this but someone might want to. The concept is that with a really sensitive stick I can turn very quickly and play like in the old days, with automatic vertical aim. If I'm using Final Doomer + though I would want to disable autoaim and manually tilt Plutonia dude's grenade launcher. I can tell that most of my alias works correctly, by adding then removing crosshair options, additionally while holding LT with this now I can use PageDown to tilt the view and when I release LT it centers.

I can see the analog stick settings inside of the ini, however, I cannot change them like a cvar in the console. Additionally they are not returned when I use cvarlist so these are apparently just settings kept in the ini file.

I managed to find one other instance of this being mentioned on the forum:
viewtopic.php?p=1068769#p1068769

Is there a way to manipulate the analog stick settings with an alias?
mofumofu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Unable to adjust xinput sticks with an alias

Post by mofumofu »

I also fooled around with this a bit and thought that the issue (as I noted on Discord) might be that there is no apparent way to specify which stick you are talking about, but it seems likely that these values are simply not exposed to the console.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”