4.2.1 Unexepcted JIT Menu error

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Enjay

4.2.1 Unexepcted JIT Menu error

Post by Enjay »

I'm sorry that this may be too vague to be useful, however, I thought I'd record it JIC (just in case).

I was playing a game with a map loaded but, as far as I know, nothing in it has any ZScript (or even DECORATE) modifications.

I pressed Esc and the menu did come up, but there was also an error printed to the screen/console. I thought that I had a logfile running, so I didn't pay too much attntion to the exact working but, it turns out that I forgot to set up a log file.

The error was something like:

Unexpected JIT error cannot make native menu call.

It was something like that anyway. Certainly "unexpected JIT" was in there, as was "menu" and "native".

Like I said, sorry if it's too vague.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: 4.2.1 Unexepcted JIT Menu error

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I think I've seen that happen a couple times, but it's almost impossible to reproduce intentionally.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah I've had this randomly happen to me this year, probably less than 10 times. Absolutely zero clue what causes it or how to even reproduce it.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I'm afraid we need the exact error message. Unexpected JIT error means that something threw an exception while it was compiling a script function to native code. The rest of the error is the most important part of the message. Filtering by "menu" or "native" lists way too many source lines.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It hasn't happened since. From what others have said it looks like it is a recurring thing, but a rare one. But I really can't remember more than what I posted. If it happens again, I'll be sure to make a proper record of the message.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Moving this to the On Hold Bugs forum so it doesn't get lost or accidentally closed.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

This should be fixed now. If it somehow still happens (it shouldn't), this bug report can be reopened.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Is there a chance this may also fix the invalid instruction error? If the answer is yes, I can run some automated tests tonight to see if I get any more of those.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Player701 wrote:Is there a chance this may also fix the invalid instruction error? If the answer is yes, I can run some automated tests tonight to see if I get any more of those.
Very unlikely, but you can test it anyway. This requires the specific case of a parameterless function that doesn't trigger the VTBL opcode ending up as the first opcode of a function, and the only case where it could cause that other bug is with calls to non-native functions, as native ones just spit out the error reported in this thread. (AFAIK the function called needs to be a parameterless static function to trigger this)
Player701

Post by Player701 »

OK, I'll leave it running and report tomorrow in the other thread.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”