Missiles fired by A_FireBullets don't get offsets

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Missiles fired by A_FireBullets don't get offsets

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

I'm experiencing a weird issue where missiles created by A_FireBullets don't receive correct offset at close distances (around 400 units), instead their offset is 0.

The behavior is showcased here: https://streamable.com/r46ak

It's shown in the current version of Beautiful Doom, but I'm also attaching a barebones example in a pk3, and the same issue can be observed with it.

GZDoom version is g55e00f350.

I added a message showing distance when fired but the distance factor is inconsistent; the bug may appear or not appear at the same distances. The problem lies specifically with the missiles part of the function, because the bullets are offset correctly (which can be seen by bulletpuffs or blood on monsters).

UPD: the issue may be connected to the fact that missiles are aimed at puffs, and puffs don't normally spawn if a monster was hit.

UPD2: yes, this is definitely it. If the puff used has +PUFFONACTORS, the missiles will get the correct offset at any distance.
Attachments
bulletsmissilebug.pk3
(472 Bytes) Downloaded 67 times
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Missiles fired by A_FireBullets don't get offsets

Post by Graf Zahl »

This was one of these unfortunate external code submissions that were just broken by design. To be honest, this code should never have been added to that function.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”