[Localization] Chat issues with Korean

These bugs do plan to be resolved, when they can be.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Kostov

[Localization] Chat issues with Korean

Post by Kostov »

In the process of testing this Korean translation, I’ve discovered that writing the language’s characters does not work as intended. While the translation is no part of GZDoom, I thought to report it anyway as a general Unicode/CJK issue.

Korean works like this: all individual letters make up what are called syllable blocks that consists of anywhere from 2–4 letters. ㅅ and ㅏcan be combined to form 사, (“sa”). ㄹ + ㅏ + ㅁ can be combined to make 람 (“ram”). My colleagues have reported that individual Korean letters can be written in GZDoom without problems, but they cannot be combined to make syllable blocks. The letters end up scattered and separated like this:

Here is a short video demonstration of the issue. Whenever the user attempts to write combined letters, the chat simply doesn’t respond.

2019-03-20_23-30-03

I think this has to do with some kind of input issue. I was able to copy a Korean character into GZDoom just fine, but attempting to write it does not yield any successful results.
Last edited by Kostov on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [Localization] Chat issues with Korean

Post by Graf Zahl »

This would require actual intelligence of the input routine, which it plain and simply does not have. It is geared toward simple alphabetic input with no attempt to interpret the entered text. Furthermore I do not have the knowledge to implement this so you'll have to look elsewhere for help.

Return to “On Hold Bugs”