Moving platforms touching sector portals break physics

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
boris

Moving platforms touching sector portals break physics

Post by boris »

Version: g3.7pre-912-ge05cedfc0 (but it's been like that before)

Setup: have a platform that moves up and down, and touches a sector portal, like a lift carrying the player through a portal. If the platform is fully up, it will no carry the player down with it unless the player moves. I.e. if the player stands still the platform will go down, but the player will hover in the air.

Video demonstrating the behavior:

Example WAD is attached.
Attachments
portalplats.wad
(9.51 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
boris

Re: Moving platforms touching sector portals break physics

Post by boris »

This actually seems to affect all actors, not just the player. If you put something, like a medikit, on the platform, it will not go down with the platform, but fly in the air.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I guess I am experiencing a similar problem here, since same actor works on non-moving / changing sectors with portals
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I wonder what boris is up to when he is currently mapping... :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem here is that the actor is completely in the upper sector and the lift completely in the lower one. This causes the actor checker for the plane movement to miss it.
Until this gets fixed I recommend not to let a moving plane occupy the exact same position as a portal.
boris

Post by boris »

Graf Zahl wrote:The problem here is that the actor is completely in the upper sector and the lift completely in the lower one. This causes the actor checker for the plane movement to miss it.
Until this gets fixed I recommend not to let a moving plane occupy the exact same position as a portal.
That introduces another problem: you can't walk off the platform, except for the north-west corner. And even there it's unreliable (shaking the mouse left and right while walking forward seems to help).

[edit] what I did was change the script to raise/lower the platform by 127 units instead of 128.
Tormentor667 wrote:I wonder what boris is up to when he is currently mapping... :)
Nothing much, just noticed it while working on my JoM 6 map.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”