"give weapons" doesn't work from the command line

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

"give weapons" doesn't work from the command line

Postby Player701 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:56 pm

The "give weapons" cheat will not work if added to the command line when starting GZDoom. Example command line:

Code: Select allExpand view
gzdoom -iwad doom2 -warp 1 +give weapons

Similarly, "give all" and "give everything" also don't work properly from the command line, since weapons is a part of what they're supposed to give. They do give everything else, though.

It seems that this happens because the player's weapon slots are initialized after these commands have already been processed. I'm not sure if this can be fixed easily, but I would still like to report it, as this behavior doesn't look consistent to me (all other cheats I can think of appear to work fine).
Player701
You are now breathing manually.

Discord: Player701#8214

Re: "give weapons" doesn't work from the command line

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:02 pm

I think your analysis is correct. This looks like one of those edge cases where the effort for fixing it stands in no relation to the result. It's not that the player cannot receive any weapons, but that the cheat code simply does not know what weapons to give.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Return to Bugs